Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, November 17, 2022

This and That

 I haven't lost my mind with this living room project just yet.  Getting to town is hit or miss.  The truck is needed to haul wood and blocks etc.  

Also, I get so excited to add a new recipe to my "Christmas" binder and then realize it is buried in the office.   I got excited about a free ornament pattern to make for a daughter, then realize the yarn I need is upstairs.   Patience....patience.....

Another thing about shopping is, for some reason, prices at our Kroger are much higher for some items that are sold online with their sister store - vita-cost.

Literally.  I just ordered items, free shipping, and right to my door.  I needed almond flour and other items, and I also noticed that Monkfruit sweetener is much cheaper at our nearest Big Lots.  I have to do hurdles, but will be really watching where to buy things we need.




My husband had to stop at Home Depot for more flooring supplies and brought me home these.  I won't have to worry about my feet freezing this weekend. Cute too!

Once again, I forgot to take a photo, but I made a mac n' cheese using a quinoa pasta, no flour rue, and made with sour cream, cottage cheese and two types of cheddar.  Although I added onion and garlic powder, it was not that cheesy or flavorful.  The main question for us, is did the quinoa pasta affect my husband's sugar?  Nope.  In fact, it went down.

Update on the floor - we are a day behind due to a supply run day that went hilter skilter.  We were short on boards and needed other supplies.  Menard's said they had, but found out their computer was wrong.  Had long waits, and had to go to two stores for supplies.  You just can't find certain things right now.

I finally found a craft show in December, but soon did the math.  There is no way the living room will be done in time.  Another year without a show, but I guess that gives me winter to re-stock items I am out of.  At least when the subfloor goes down, I will be able to access my yarn and put some items up for sale possible.  I do ship.

Question:  Do you have to blanch butternut squash to freeze it?

I just realized I posted two blog posts today.  Whoops.  Happy Reading ha ha!





3 comments:

Carol said...

Some things are hard to find at the moment. It's sad but the world post CO_VID

Debi said...

I do not blanch butternut or acorn squash when I freeze it. I didn't even know that was a thing! I just cube it, flash freeze it on a cookie sheet and then put in freezer bags. Have a great weekend.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, you are right, a lot of things are hard to get right now.

Debi, thanks. I ended up blanching it to help preserve texture and flavor.