Skip to main content

This and That

 I haven't lost my mind with this living room project just yet.  Getting to town is hit or miss.  The truck is needed to haul wood and blocks etc.  

Also, I get so excited to add a new recipe to my "Christmas" binder and then realize it is buried in the office.   I got excited about a free ornament pattern to make for a daughter, then realize the yarn I need is upstairs.   Patience....patience.....

Another thing about shopping is, for some reason, prices at our Kroger are much higher for some items that are sold online with their sister store - vita-cost.

Literally.  I just ordered items, free shipping, and right to my door.  I needed almond flour and other items, and I also noticed that Monkfruit sweetener is much cheaper at our nearest Big Lots.  I have to do hurdles, but will be really watching where to buy things we need.




My husband had to stop at Home Depot for more flooring supplies and brought me home these.  I won't have to worry about my feet freezing this weekend. Cute too!

Once again, I forgot to take a photo, but I made a mac n' cheese using a quinoa pasta, no flour rue, and made with sour cream, cottage cheese and two types of cheddar.  Although I added onion and garlic powder, it was not that cheesy or flavorful.  The main question for us, is did the quinoa pasta affect my husband's sugar?  Nope.  In fact, it went down.

Update on the floor - we are a day behind due to a supply run day that went hilter skilter.  We were short on boards and needed other supplies.  Menard's said they had, but found out their computer was wrong.  Had long waits, and had to go to two stores for supplies.  You just can't find certain things right now.

I finally found a craft show in December, but soon did the math.  There is no way the living room will be done in time.  Another year without a show, but I guess that gives me winter to re-stock items I am out of.  At least when the subfloor goes down, I will be able to access my yarn and put some items up for sale possible.  I do ship.

Question:  Do you have to blanch butternut squash to freeze it?

I just realized I posted two blog posts today.  Whoops.  Happy Reading ha ha!





Comments

Carol said…
Some things are hard to find at the moment. It's sad but the world post CO_VID
Debi said…
I do not blanch butternut or acorn squash when I freeze it. I didn't even know that was a thing! I just cube it, flash freeze it on a cookie sheet and then put in freezer bags. Have a great weekend.
Carol, you are right, a lot of things are hard to get right now.

Debi, thanks. I ended up blanching it to help preserve texture and flavor.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart