Skip to main content

Homemade Lean Turkey Sausage ~ New Breakfast Recipe and other tidbits

 


To make the new breakfast casserole, I needed sausage.  The recipe called for Italian, but I simply used my homemade sausage recipe, by swapping out the pork with lean ground turkey.  I put the extra into the freeze for other meals.



I made a new breakfast casserole, but after putting it together it is basically like a bake I make, only the potatoes are swapped out with cauliflower.  It's very good, but I will season it up next time with either jalapenos, garlic or fire powder.  I topped it with dandelion greens as well.  

Today, I am on the hunt for someone to at least remove the popcorn ceiling.  Wish we luck.  Nothing is cheap anymore.  We can do the painting, but I have never removed the popcorn ceiling.  The floor work is slow going right now, which is driving me crazy.  

I signed up to make rolls for one Thanksgiving, and yesterday realized, I cannot get to my recipes.  They are buried in my office, where the door is in the living room.  It's packed with stuff from the living room, and of course the floor is not in yet.  I guess I'm off the hook for that this year ha ha!

I may take a mashed cauliflower dish.  I mean, I need something my husband can eat.  That's the bad thing of a get together - all the options are not healthy, other than maybe deviled eggs.  When I think about it, almost all but the meat is bad - cheesy potatoes, corn casserole, sweet potato bakes have brown sugar toppings, stuffing, rolls, mashed potatoes, corn, any side salads with pasta in it....heck even my BBQ crock pot green beans have brown sugar in it.  I guess I'm on the hunt for some other healthy sides, besides sweet potatoes with garlic, butter and thyme.

Well, we are to get rain and snow today.  And it's another day waiting on a quote to get the gutters cleaned before the weather gets too bad.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart