Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

In lieu of the kitchen floor project discovery, I sliced and diced yesterday to get some tomatoes off the tables.  



Ketchup was canned.  I love Amish paste, I cut less, because they weigh more.  I may have to mix it up next year to ensure I have enough for all things tomato.  I may plant 3 types of paste tomatoes.  

I started to drain rain barrels and flip them upside down for winter.  We were supposed to get rain last night but did not.  We really needed it too.

Picked hot peppers, and there were a good amount to pick.



I froze two more trays of mad hatter peppers.

My husband told me twice he was bringing dinner home.  Guess who walked in the door with no dinner?  Yep.  I was tired.  He was tired.  I made adult cheese sandwiches (Recipe is online with America's Test Kitchen).

Daughter K has been a Godsend in helping with Mom's appts. She not only picked up the transport wheelchair and shower stool, but also took her to two appts, and one was to get her hair done.


Comments

Hello,
You've been quite productive. We planted Mad Hatter peppers last year. They were so cute! I didn't realize that there are paste tomatoes. What are your favorites? Can they also be canned as diced tomatoes?

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Laura
Laura Lane, yes, paste tomatoes are used for sauces of any kind. My favorite is San Marzano, next is Amish paste and then Romas. All can be frozen for use in any recipe as well. I've also canned them as crushed tomatoes when I've had a lot of them. A well as stewed tomatoes.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart