Skip to main content

How I killed some seed starts ~ How I ended up with so many serrano peppers and other bits

I started some cilantro and parsley seeds indoors, and they were doing great.  However, I had two spray bottles in the kitchen, and one is not labeled.  I have a 50/50 of vinegar and water in one (not labeled), and one with water.  

I was spraying the plants with water and they were doing great.  They other day I noticed them all dying.  Guess who used the wrong spray bottle?  Yep, ha ha!  Labeling the bottle and replanting.

Back when I was at the greenhouse picking out some plants for the garden that I didn't start from seed, I asked for "serrano" when I meant to ask for San Marzano (tomatoes).  That's how I ended up with 6 serrano pepper plants, ha ha!  I never figured it out until I went to plant, and that's how I ended up with so many.




I picked more hot peppers, and gave some away.  I am finally getting some cherry bomb peppers. Due to high price of disposable gloves I am rinsing off my gloves after slicing then, and reusing to remove them from the pan after flash freezing.

I did some deadheading while I was outside, because they needed it and rain was on the way.  

Daughter K got called in to work on her only day off (happens way too often).  While she was at work, King (on of her dogs) had a seizure.  It's very painful to watch, but I gave him as much comfort as I could.  Poor dog.

Mom is still in the hospital and getting more testing done.  She's not happy that she isn't home yet, and of course she isn't seeing us enough, so we are calling as much as we can.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Hope a diagnosis is forthcoming for your Mum soon, it is so difficult in these times of covid for hospital visitation. I did sile at the mix up of bottles, its something I would do.
mamasmercantile, we hope the doctors get a diagnosis soon, so she can return home. I am glad you got a laugh about the bottle mix up. Daughter K laughed a lot about this mix up, ha ha!
Hope Mom is feeling better. Mix up happens you just have too roll with it.
Hope your Mom better. Things happen you just have too roll with it.
Thanks Lisa, I hope the tests they are doing figure out how to help Mom feel better.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart