Skip to main content

The "How to" on Home Canned Ketchup



This is how I make my ketchup.  

I do not peel my tomatoes because I use a sauce maker (you could also use a food mill).  Wash, trim and slice up 10 pounds of paste tomatoes.  I simply cut my paste tomatoes in 4th's and toss them in the pot.




I make a spice bag that includes 2 bay leaves, 2 Tbsp. celery seed, 2 tsp. whole allspice, 1 tsp whole cloves, and 1 tsp. black peppercorns. 

I place half of the cut tomatoes into a large pot, along with the spice bag.  I cook them down.



I then add the other half of the tomatoes, along with 2 cups of diced onions (I typically don't measure, and use 2 large ones).





After about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of cooking, I discard the spice bag, and run the mixture through my sauce maker.   This removes the seeds, tomato skins, etc. 


(Just out of the sauce maker)


I return the mixture to a clean pot on the stove, adding 2 cups of granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp. pickling/canning salt, and 2 cups of organic Bragg's apple cider vinegar.  I bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to reduce the mixture to a thickness I like.  The amount of time it takes to reduce can be 2 1/2 hours or more, depending on the temperature you use on your stove top.  If it's too high, your ketchup will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.  I use one notch up from medium heat (again I have a very old stove, so this can vary).  I stir it often, as it reduces.



 (reduced and ready to can)

I then ladle it into hot sterilized 1/2 pint jars (about 5-6) depending on how thick you like it), wipe rims, and seal in a canner pot for 35 minutes (starting the timer when the water comes back to a boil).  Leave a 1/2 inch head space.  I remove the lid, and lift up the jars but leave them in for another 5 minutes before placing them on a thick towel for 24 hours.



Once jars are opened they must be refrigerated.  This doesn't last very long after opening, so if you have a smaller need, than can it in smaller jars. 


Comments

Liz said…
Good recipe! I am making lots of ketchup this year. The grandson can't get enough! I need one of those food mills.
Lady Locust said…
Thank you!!! I will give this recipe a try. A little different process than I've used before and seems like it should work better.
Also, like that your juicer has a guard over it - mine just squirts me :-)
You are welcome Lady Locust, I do love my juicer. I do have to hand crank slow or sometimes I still get a squirt on myself. Thank goodness for aprons.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart