Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Heat Returns ~ Day 2 of Battle with the Rabbits

The heat returned and watering everything resumed.  The rabbits are horrible this year and have eaten the tops off most of my beets (so mad about this).  I've dumped cayenne pepper on it to deter them, but it may be too late.  Next year I'll have to fence it in.  We've never had this problem in 12-13 years.

My mother's neighbor told her a trick - sprinkle cayenne in the garden.  I did this with the grow bags, sweet potatoes and other problem areas and so far it's working!!  So happy to see growth vs. chewed down tops.

The green peppers are on thankfully.  So are the green beans.  I'm still waiting on more zucchini and yellow squash, but the tomatoes look great.

One zucchini, last year's jalapenos, and last year's green peppers went into making a breakfast scramble for breakfast.  We are on the very last bag of frozen green peppers - just in time for this year's harvest.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Once again this summer we have a small bunny in our yard. Just noticed it today so perhaps tomorrow at some point I will try the cayenne pepper trick. Thanks.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, so far the cayenne is working great. My Mom told me her neighbor told her to put it in her flower bed to keep the squirrels out. It worked for her.