Skip to main content

Pop Up Camper ~ Garden

My first day of the camper purge was pretty successful.  Rain was in the forecast, but very little.

The table in the camper folds down, and is a bed for 2.  Under one side of the table bench is a storage area. It's the biggest storage other than the outside front storage bin.  

I tackled that area first. I kept extra pillows in there, because we often forgot to pack pillows for camping trips.  Lots of stuff went into a box for goodwill.  Some sheets were washed a saved for those spring frost blasts we get late in May (when we have to cover plants).  I also saved sheets for rag rugs, gave some enamel plates to one of my brothers.


Games and doodle books went to Daughter E for her new apartment, along with a pizza pan (have no idea why that was in the camper), some cups/mugs, drawer storage tray, antique counter top mug holder, and other items.

Some items went in the trash, like a pot holder that was beyond it's lifetime.  I had 10 pot holders in that camper, ha ha!  Many that were in good shape went to Goodwill.  

A few things needed washed down, and a few screws for the door top needed replaced, but all in all, the camper is in good condition considering it's a 1999 camper.


I brought these mug covers in to wash.  I had a color for each person.  They are made to fit a specific mug, and we don't use them anymore, so I'm torn on what to do with them. I may see if they fit any of my mugs in the house.  If not, they may (gulp) get donated.



Of course with so much going out, I added a few new items - collapsible strainers for the camper.

I finally harvested our first zucchini of the season.  My yellow is way behind.  I have made notes in my garden journal to not only change resources for seeds, but to start the yellow plants indoors next spring.  I've had trouble with them the last few years.  Of course we've had weather issues, but for some reason the seeds from High Mowing (for yellow straight neck) have taken longer to harvest and less to harvest.

Comments

Linda said…
Kristina have you had your soil tested to see if it needs amending?
Looks like you got lots done. Weather has messed with all of our gardens. Have a great week.
Linda, I think we just have bad seeds.
Thanks Lisa, we are getting more rain, but the weeds are horrible this year.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart