Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, July 2, 2021

Restoring Cast Iron

 

I have one large cast iron pot with a lid.  I noticed this after getting it out of storage (yeah, I haven't used it for several years for some reason).  Anyway, I looked up instructions from the Lodge cast iron company.

First, remove any signs of rust with steel wool or a rust remover you can purchase from the Lodge store.

They say to wash good with soap, and not to worry because it's getting re-seasoned next.

To re-season, spray a light coat with cooking spray and bake in the oven at 450°F for one hour (place foil on bottom rack to catch any oil).

They said it could take 2 times of doing this to correct the pot.


5 comments:

MaryP said...

I have been using cast iron for many years and I am not a fan of cooking spray or oil. I use a light coating of bacon grease, lard or tallow.

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

I just finished doing a corn muffin oan I found. Great tips.

JustGail said...

I probably shouldn't question Lodge's directions, but that cooking spray sh** turns to a sticky evil mess anywhere it's not covered by food during baking. I've banned it from my house. Let us know how it works for you.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mary, Lisa and JustGail, I should have mentioned that I used olive oil on the pan and not spray.

JustGail said...

IMHO, that was a very wise move. People have been seasoning cast iron with whatever oils or fats they had on hand far longer than the spray has existed.