Skip to main content

Garden goodness and updates

 We both did a lot of hurkle-durkling in the morning.  Mainly due to heat, but the weed whacking was done.

By 1pm, we were playing cards and grilling out.



Basically, t
he only thing I made, also due to the hot day.  Garlic scape and radish dip.







The tomatoes coming on, and one cayenne pepper plant already has peppers.  I picked a couple of cherry tomatoes too.

Comments

M. Meyers said…
Lovely plants! But….”hurkle-durkling?!?!” This Texas girl is clueless. Is this an Ohio idiom?
Yes the heat is brital. I do gardening early morning and late afternoon. My peppers are green too waiting to turn red to use.
M.Myers, it's a fun new word I learned ha ha!
Lisa, I hope my peppers are on all at the same time. I want to make hot pepper jelly this year again.
M. Meyers said…
I had to Google it! It’s an old Scottish expression for Lolly-gagging in bed! lol we say “lolly-gagging” !
R's Rue said…
The heat is so stifling. That dip looks so good. Stay cool if you can. Have a beautiful day.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Lady Locust said…
Aren't the first fruits just divine? By the end of August I'm still grateful but slightly less enthusiastic :-)
M.Myers, yep, and dilly dallying ha ha!
R's Rue, its one of our favorite dips. So good!
Lady Locust, same here ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart