Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

New Hummus Recipe ~ Sun Dried Tomato Hummus ~ This and That

I tried a new recipe that was given to us by our well being (insurance) point program.  I adjusted it to organic and homegrown ingredients.



Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus
(adapted with organic/homegrown ingredients)
2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained (organic)
⅓ cup fat-free yogurt (I used full fat homemade using my dehydrator to make it)
¼ cup tahini (or homemade with sesame seeds)
3 garlic cloves(organic home grown)
½ cup chopped sun-dried tomato (dehydrated home grown grape tomatoes)
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves (organic from the garden)
2 tsp. lemon juice (organic)
Directions
Process chickpeas, yogurt, tahini, and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Stir in sun-dried tomato bits and oregano; season to taste with lemon juice. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.


Of course this is a "healthier" version of hummus, as it uses less tahini and no olive oil.    Don't have the yogurt?  Just use my traditional recipe and add the tomatoes and oregano. 

Note:  I rehdydrated my dried grape tomatoes before adding to the recipe.

I'm watching the weather.  I have only one rain barrel up, but if we are possibly getting down to 32°F with snow, I will have to drain it and flip it over until the cold wave passes.


Onion powder is now restocked.  I literally used all 7 lbs. of dehydrated onion to fill the jar. I will need more to dehydrate for diced.  I thought I had enough, but nope.

Mom had zero meat, so we surprised her with a delivery.  We took her a dozen pink carnations, flowers for her flower garden, groceries and cat food.  I told her "Happy Mother's Day" and she cried.  She was so thankful to have chicken and mashed potatoes for lunch instead of a hotdog.  I'm so glad we can help her out right now. 

In the evening we took a motorcycle ride with another couple and had a very nice time.   Today, it's back to cold again.  Our May weather is too cold for May weather. Brr. 

Oh, and by the way, this virus is real.  Remember the older parents of a friend who recently passed away?  Well, that friend (their daughter) is sick and tested positive, but she was sick a while back and never tested.  It apparently lasts up to a month in your body when you do get sick. So if you do get sick and not tested, stay away from people for a month.  This colder weather in our parts isn't helping kill off this virus either (or what I can the Chinese Flu).



4 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

How wonderful that you were able to help out your dear Mum, it is such a difficult time.

Carol said...

Yes, my mother in law tested positive for a month and just got a negative test yesterday. I am thankful for the nurses that have cared for her. I am sorry to hear of this lady fighting this horrible virus. I pray that you are able to continue to care for your mom as well. I am glad you took her food.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, she was so surprised that she cried happy tears.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Carol.