Skip to main content

Fair Food Craze ~ Homemade Sopaipillas

Apparently, in this pandemic time, people are going crazy over "fair food."  One restaurant started it.  They dedicated one night for serving a drive thru with just fair food.  I didn't go, but the entire town (Big City) went.  I heard there was a 3-4 hour wait in line.  

The next day, the town announced that fair food vendors will be set up this weekend at the fair grounds for selling food.  I am sure that will end up a crowd too.

I decided to do a fair food night at home.  I made homemade corn dogs with real beef dogs and homemade batter.



We also made hand cut fries to go with them, but that's not all.  I started us out with a batch of homemade sopaipillas, an old, old high school recipe from Spanish class.  We used to make them and sell them at lunch at school to raise money for our Spanish class.  They are like mini elephant ears you'd get at the fair.  Just for the update, all the fairs have canceled their fair this year.



Sopaipillas

2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp Baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp. shortening
2/3 cup lukewarm water
Fat for frying
Cinnamon and sugar to coat

Stir together, flour baking powder and salt.  Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles corn meal.  Gradually add the water stirring with a fork (dough will be crumbly).
Turn onto floured surface, knead into small ball.  Divide dough in half and let stand 10 minutes.  Roll each dough into a 12 ½ inch by 10 inch rectangle.  Cut into 2 ½ inch squares (do not re-roll the dough).  Fry a few at a time at 400°F in hot oil.  Drain on paper towel.  Roll in cinnamon and sugar.  Makes 40

Comments

Rebecca Knox said…
Thanks for sharing the sopapilla recipe! Sure missed attending Spring Training this year. Sopapillas with ice cream were traditionally served on the last night of camp. Blessings for a beautiful holiday weekend! <3
mamasmercantile said…
Not something that I have ever had the corn dog or the sopaipillas but they both look very tasty.
Cockeyed Jo said…
All that fried food and no funnel cakes?! No Sausage dogs with onions and peppers? Where's the popcorn and cotton candy?

You could have set up a ring toss in your living room to and decorated with bright colored balloons too. Making it a real fair thing. Dress the dogs up like elephants and camels, and the cat as a lion. LOL

For me, I'm too old to remember or find my recipes from high school. Remember, for me, that's when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Good jib on remembering and sharing the recipe. I'll have to try it.
Thanks Rebecca, served with ice cream sounds good.
Thanks mamasmercantile, I don't like to eat fried foods, but they were all asking me for it, and homemade is so much better than going out to buy "fair" food.
Cockeyed Jo, I love French Waffles, so I may purchase the tool to make them next. Love some popcorn too.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Kristina, why buy the tool? Use a regular funnel and use a wooden spoon end as a stopper. Geez, you young whippersnappers think you need special tools to do anything. LOL
Cockeyed Jo, ha ha, that would work great for a funnel cake

Popular posts from this blog

Question

  I have asked this before, but I know I follow a few writers who have written (and published) novels.  What is the best free or best least expensive (simple like Word) writing software to use that is not Google Docs? Thanks! I'll be back with an update soon I hope.  But I do appreciate your help, because I cannot find the information some of you suggested.

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart