Skip to main content

Fair Food Craze ~ Homemade Sopaipillas

Apparently, in this pandemic time, people are going crazy over "fair food."  One restaurant started it.  They dedicated one night for serving a drive thru with just fair food.  I didn't go, but the entire town (Big City) went.  I heard there was a 3-4 hour wait in line.  

The next day, the town announced that fair food vendors will be set up this weekend at the fair grounds for selling food.  I am sure that will end up a crowd too.

I decided to do a fair food night at home.  I made homemade corn dogs with real beef dogs and homemade batter.



We also made hand cut fries to go with them, but that's not all.  I started us out with a batch of homemade sopaipillas, an old, old high school recipe from Spanish class.  We used to make them and sell them at lunch at school to raise money for our Spanish class.  They are like mini elephant ears you'd get at the fair.  Just for the update, all the fairs have canceled their fair this year.



Sopaipillas

2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp Baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp. shortening
2/3 cup lukewarm water
Fat for frying
Cinnamon and sugar to coat

Stir together, flour baking powder and salt.  Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles corn meal.  Gradually add the water stirring with a fork (dough will be crumbly).
Turn onto floured surface, knead into small ball.  Divide dough in half and let stand 10 minutes.  Roll each dough into a 12 ½ inch by 10 inch rectangle.  Cut into 2 ½ inch squares (do not re-roll the dough).  Fry a few at a time at 400°F in hot oil.  Drain on paper towel.  Roll in cinnamon and sugar.  Makes 40

Comments

Rebecca Knox said…
Thanks for sharing the sopapilla recipe! Sure missed attending Spring Training this year. Sopapillas with ice cream were traditionally served on the last night of camp. Blessings for a beautiful holiday weekend! <3
mamasmercantile said…
Not something that I have ever had the corn dog or the sopaipillas but they both look very tasty.
Cockeyed Jo said…
All that fried food and no funnel cakes?! No Sausage dogs with onions and peppers? Where's the popcorn and cotton candy?

You could have set up a ring toss in your living room to and decorated with bright colored balloons too. Making it a real fair thing. Dress the dogs up like elephants and camels, and the cat as a lion. LOL

For me, I'm too old to remember or find my recipes from high school. Remember, for me, that's when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Good jib on remembering and sharing the recipe. I'll have to try it.
Thanks Rebecca, served with ice cream sounds good.
Thanks mamasmercantile, I don't like to eat fried foods, but they were all asking me for it, and homemade is so much better than going out to buy "fair" food.
Cockeyed Jo, I love French Waffles, so I may purchase the tool to make them next. Love some popcorn too.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Kristina, why buy the tool? Use a regular funnel and use a wooden spoon end as a stopper. Geez, you young whippersnappers think you need special tools to do anything. LOL
Cockeyed Jo, ha ha, that would work great for a funnel cake

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart