Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

On the Hooks ~ Frost Warning (again) ~ Spearmint Seeds Inquiry





Crocheting a rag rug.  This project is on hold for now.  I am having to use all my spare sheets and pillow cases to cover my asparagus, rhubarb, etc.  We had another freeze/frost warning.  Once the cold wave passes, I'll make more strips of old sheets to finish this rug.



Knitting a dishcloth in red/white and blue.



A set of pot holders.  Sorry for the bad photo.

Off the hook. . .

A new dishcloth pattern.  I learned the waffle stitch this year, which is very easy to do.  I however, feel this is way too thick for a dishcloth.  It also uses twice the amount of yarn than a regular crocheted dishcloth.  It's going in my stash of cleaning cloths and will be used for that.



I dug out my tatting, but haven't yet got back to it to see if I even remember how to do it.  Could be fun.  Who knows.

Does anyone have extra organic spearmint seeds?  My potted plant died and I cannot get the seeds from High Mowing, Territorial, Baker Creek, Sow True,  PineTree or Strictly Medicinal Seeds.  A packet costs about $3 so I can barter as well.



17 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you R's Rue

Faith said...

I don't have any spearment seeds. Sorry. Crochet away girl :)

Faith said...

Kristina, Amy A has to go. I don't wear a mask and have no intention of doing so, I will not patronize anywhere where one is "required", I have written Gov deer in the headlights a few times. I think he has snapped. Not wearing a mask does indeed build our immunity. They can take away the buffets, but can they really stop us from dancing at weddings, and having 11 people over for a party? Our rights are being infringed on big time. They are wrong. I'm going to stop at the nursery today if I can go in without a mask, I'll look for spearment seeds for you.

Faith said...

I don'tknow if they carry organic, I will check. Again...if I don't have to wear a mask to get in.

Lady Locust said...

I've not been adventurous enough to try the waffle pattern - good for you. Looks great. I will look at my seeds. I've ordered from Swallowtail before but just checked and they are also out.

Faith said...

Foo if no spearmint seeds organic or otherwise.

Lady Locust said...

No need to publish~ etsy has org. spmt. seeds

RB said...

Your needlework is so gorgeous. I love the way you're using old sheeting to edge the one. And I was thinking maybe the waffle stitch is too heavy for a dish cloth, but maybe just right for being under a dish drainer or even as a nice warm rug beneath one's feet at the kitchen sink.
All is still ok here. I turned 73 today. No party. No fireworks. That's ok. Bro Tom did bring home a small gift bags with fun sized candy bars in it. I'm content with what I have.
I restart acupuncture tomorrow, and while I'm a bit concerned about straying away from home, my GP approved it if I can wait in the car and not in a waiting room which the acupuncturist agreed to, and the pain in my right shoulder and hips kind of demand it, especially after being off it for over 2 months. So praise God, I'll get that going again. I pray it helps as effectively as it did before.
Also praying for everyone else as states reopen, some before CDC guidelines prescribe it. Everyone's anxious without realizing the virus doesn't care how anxious we are. It's just waiting for one person to slip up on washing their hands or wearing a face mask when they're suppose to.
Please Lord, protect us, in Christ Jesus name. AMEN!!!
God bless.
RB
<><

Debby Flowers said...

Hi Kristina - I am surprised that you cover your rhubarb - it is very hardy. We had 23 degrees this morning. The rhubarb, garlic, and spinach all look fine with no protection. I think the asparagus that is up has suffered but there will be more. I suppose your rhubarb is adapted to your region and ours to here - perhaps yours is more frost tender due to your somewhat warmer climate zone.

Unknown said...

Have you ever had luck growing mint from seeds? I haven’t.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Faith

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Lady Locust

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB, Happy Birthday to you!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, I covered anything that came up, but has never felt temps that cold. Even so, my asparagus wilted over and even a few parts of the rhubarb. We are now past the cold spell thankfully.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Unknown, yes, I've only planted my spearmint from seed and it's done well. It just didn't survive our winter for some reason. My peppermint did.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lady Locust, thanks, I will check on Etsy.