Skip to main content

Chicken on the Loose ~ No Thyme or Spearmint ~ Home Baking ~ Romeo



While out doing garden work, a hen got out of the run and was following me around.  I found it so funny.  I got her back in, as she would tear up my garden. 

I planted more flowers.  I finally filled the driveway pots with flowers and beautified a bit more.  I found non-gmo catnip seeds but not spearmint.  I guess I'll break down and buy them on Etsy.  I could not find one thyme plant either.  They had way less to pick from than any year I've ever seen.  The ones I put in the ground didn't make it through the onslaught of rain we had a week or so ago.


Hubby has been begging for apple crisp.  He got it.


I baked a new breakfast casserole.  Sort of made it up.  I cooked onions and organic red potatoes, then added bell peppers and garlic.  I poured it into a baking pan, layered in some cheese, cooked bacon and eggs/milk.  I topped it with home grown green onions.  It turned out delicious.  Sorry for the bad photo.  I was in a hurry to try it, ha ha!


Romeo is finally "cone" free.  We had to put a cone on him to keep him from licking himself.  He is so happy and relaxed now, but this was the most dramatic neutering I've seen. 


Comments

Faith said…
Thanks Kristina.next, I want to try my hand at making a mini quilt..really stretching as I am sew challenged, I love my crochet, and want to add more creative outlets. Tatting is something which I always thought about but never tried, maybe I'll tackle that one of these days. Stay well, enjoy your time in the garden and crafts, they do help us to keep balanced.
Thanks Faith, I have always wanted to quilt pot holders as my first quilting project, but just never took the time. Now the garden keeps me busy.
We had leftover fried onions & I put some on my breakfast sandwich. Hubby said he ate enough of the onions for supper & thought he didn't want onions for breakfast. Your made up breakfast casserole with onions sounds tasty.
mamasmercantile said…
We do let our chickens out of their enclosed area when we are out with them, they love the freedom and are great for entertaining us. Each have their own personality and are a joy to watch. Take care.
Thanks Wildflower Adventures
Mamasmercantile, I do free range them when I am outside and when the garden is over with (and prior) but otherwise they are in a run. They do love their dirt baths. I have to watch out for hawk, coyote, raccoon, and fox in our area.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart