Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie ~ Outdoor Work

I checked the rhubarb after watering my garlic and checking the asparagus.  Woot!  I baked us a strawberry-rhubarb pie, and kept several stalks for another project.  This is a new pie for me this year.  So excited!  I thawed strawberries for this, that we froze last summer.  I know fresh is better, but it worked.



Hubby did a lot of mowing, and we ripped out the weeds in the rose bed.  There is a lot of work to do in the rose bed, so while the pie baked I worked in that bed. 



It's in progress, but lots to do to prevent the grass (again for the umpteenth time).

 He promised to get the tiller out and do more of the garden.  We ran out of time yesterday.

5 comments:

Carol said...

I am amazed that you have rhubarb already. It is still so cold here and we are just barely getting our plants started. It looks like the rose garden will take some time, but I have faith that you can do it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, that rose bed has been a headache since we moved here. We piled it high with mulch over black sheeting, and it filled with grass. Someone suggested using old roofing tiles then mulch. Hubby wants to spray it with weed killer and I told him no way! My herb garden is on the other side of the sidewalk. We plan to layer down cardboard this time and see what happens.

Lady Locust said...

I won't show this to hubby. I've been threatening to make him a rhubarb pie (his fav.) but mine are never as pretty as what you made! That looks like it belongs in a magazine:-)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh, thank you Lady Locust. I haven't made a lattice crust pie in many years.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Make mine a Strawberry pie hold the rhubarb. I can't stand the stuff.