Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Day 14 of Self Quarantine ~ Chicks!

Hubby made us omelets with veggies and leftover ham.  The muffins are organic from the store since I still cannot find wholewheat flour anywhere.



We did a grocery pick up (no toilet paper...again).  It's limited now, and we never know if we'll get what we need.  I try to get some sort of greens in each order we need to do.



Pan of veggies we had one night.

I got an email that stated one seed order was shipped.  The other order came back with "out of stock" on about 4 of my items.  Sadly, I had to go and reorder them from another source, crossing my fingers this all arrives timely.  We did not start any seeds indoors this year, so that means relying on our garden resource for a few other items, especially tomatoes.  

Hubby dropped a jar of 4 thieves vinegar and spilled the remaining goodness.  He looked like he was going to cry.  Literally.  I had another jar, so he was relieved, and I'm making more, but using the stove top vs. a  warm window (because it's still too cold here and we lack the sunshine to make it all happen).



Meet the new additions to the homestead.   I had to go in the store to get the feed (no delivery or pick up) so I left with these ladies - 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, and 3 Prairie Bluebell Eggers.  They guy helping me said they sold over 1500 chicks last week, and more and more were starting to raise their own, who never did.  I just hope they realize they won't get eggs for a while.  Mine are getting up in age, and with the loss of another recently, I thought it was best.  I had suggested I give 3 away to keep the brood manageable, but Hubby insisted we keep all 6.  




8 comments:

Faith said...

lovely baby chicks, I sure would like to have a few in my yard. I can't figure out how to do it here in land locked down Dodge. Yards are small. We are not fenced in. I look forward to your pictures of the newbees. Silver Lacey's are pretty I've seen those. Stay well.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Faith, I wish I had more building materials on hand to build a coop for meat birds.

wyomingheart said...

Sounds like the hen house is going to be fun this summer! We have a service at our Kroger store, where you can shop on line, and they shop for you, and even load it in your vehicle. Makes it fairly easy, but the store is 30 minutes from us. It does take a couple of days for them to fulfill the order, so don’t be in a hurry for anything. We are like you, with wanting to eat the fresh veggies from the garden. Those baby chicks make me smile! How is your day today?

Rain said...

Your chicks are so sweet, congratulations Kristina! Good idea I think, to build the flock. Oh your breakfast looks deeeee-lish! I think that I'm realizing the advantage of living so far up north here. The population is much lower and we are not ever missing anything we need. That first week of panic resulted in TP shortages here, but now the shelves are fully stocked and there is no issue. Our big issue at the moment is the move that is supposed to happen next month.

mamasmercantile said...

There is limited seeds locally as more and more people are starting to turn to their gardens who don't normally bother. Thankfully we had most of what we wanted. Stay safe.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

wyomingheart, that is exactly how we are shopping for groceries/toiletries here as well, other than you cannot buy toilet paper, or disinfectants or even medications like Tylenol via instacart. You have to find a store in stock and go inside.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, you are lucky. Here? People are still hoarding.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamsmercantile, it's definitely spiked in seed sales. I put in anothe rorder, and pray we get them. I looked a the farm store when we got chicken feed, and not one seed packet was even out yet.