Skip to main content

Winter Medicinal Prep



Started a  jar of sage tincture.


Started another jar of mullein tincture






Dehydrated sage for meals and for medicinal tea and for recipes.  I use it to make homemade sausage, pumpkin sage mac n' cheese and other recipes.  I didn't have much to harvest as one plant is half dead, so I had to dig out my small dehydrator for that small job.



Started a jar of Four Thieves Vinegar.





Froze medicinal basil pesto (Rosemary Gladstar recipe)


Made a medicinal jar of thyme honey (Rosemary Gladstar).  I also have her recipe for Thyme Syrup.  That only lasts 4-6 weeks, so I have an indoor plant for that this winter.



Started one jar of elderberry elixir.





Put organic ginger root in the freezer.  I just rinse, dry, wrap up and place in a freezer bag.  It is used for ginger tea, homemade ginger ale and other recipes.  Ginger root itself has so many healthy benefits overall, I make sure I have it on hand at all times, especially when the snow is flying.  Which reminds me, I need to stock up on club soda for the ginger ale as well.



Planted basil seeds for an indoor pot resource. Lots of good benefits from it and I use it in recipes.  It's already sprouting.



I also restocked organic pineapple juice.  I use it for not just recipes, but it's great to have on hand for colds and coughs as well as the health benefits.  I use it to make homemade teriyaki sauce too.




Comments

Faith said…
Four Thieves...what are the medicinal benefits? What a cute little dehydrator, hope you are feeling better.
Faith, according to Rosemary Gladstar's book, in the way past it was used to "ward off the plague" so any time we feel something coming on, we take it. The book is titled, "Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs, A Beginner's Guide. I use many of the recipes in that book too.
Sam I Am...... said…
You have been busy! I pinched my basil to keep it from blooming and threw the "seeds" in the bottom of the pot and lo and behold I have new basil plants!
Sam I Am, my outdoor basil died, so I'm excited to have it indoors for winter now.
Luludou said…
I like reading about herbal médecines, though I know Nothing about it.
Thanks Luludou, Rosemary's Gladstar's beginner's book has a lot of recipes and info.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart