Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits ~ Homemade Croutons

I had my first yarn stolen by Romeo.  Sigh.  Goodbye Blue Hawaii crochet thread, and hardly used.  A chair was left out and not pushed in and in a millisecond, he was up on the chair and out with the yarn.

Got three sticky notes taken down and off the to-do list.  Woohoo for that.  Propane is on the way.

I got one of our 3 porches cleaned up.  Flower pots dumped, coolers put away, and other misc. items.  One down, two to go.  I do need to re-do the outdoor winter cat house.  It needs cleaned out and re-packed with straw.



Homemade Croutons
6 slices organic whole wheat bread (or baked bread)
2 tsp. homemade Italian Seasoning
1 tsp. homemade garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup organic olive oil

Preheat oven to 350°F.  I like to put everything in a bowl and toss as I drizzle the oil, but you could also do it all on the baking dish.  Bake 14-16 minutes or until crisp enough.  

Freeze until needed.  We add these to soups and salads

Tip:  I used these for "bread crumbs" in recipes.  I bring them to room temperature, from the freezer, and grind them up in my food processor.

Tip:  Too lazy to bake bread?  Or no time?  Look for day old marked down organic bread at the grocery store.  I got one loaf for $1.29 and sometimes they are $.99.  I was able to get two batches from one loaf.  The last few pieces were tossed to the chickens.

We were very blessed with sunny weather yesterday, and a high of 67°F.  I took advantage of it and cleaned the side door porch completely off.

Guess what I saw on the front porch?


A wheel bug.  Apparently, after asking what it was, I found out it's a wheel bug.  It was put to it's death quickly.  I am told they come form TX via semi shipments etc.  Lovely.  We had our share of semi's this summer with another highway closed.  It's back open, but now I'm wondering how many more I have around the front porch.  I read it's bite is nasty and worse than a bee.  Can anyone verify this?  I have never seen this bug in the entire time we've lived here.

I called the surgeon's office finally.  They re-sent the "under the knife" procedure to the insurance now.  Not what I wanted but I will update once insurance takes their good ol' time answering this request. 

Update:  Our son-in-law is now in ICU.  I will update as we get them.  Thank you for good thoughts, vibes and prayers.



Comments

Carol said…
I have never seen a bug like that! I have made croutons in the past, but I no longer eat them after mom ruptured her esophagus from one. No thank you! I will be praying for your son in law. I am going back to see if I have missed a post.
Thanks Carol, that was a surprise to see that bug on the porch too. Yes, our son-in-law went in for open heart surgery on Monday.
Rain said…
Sending prayers for your son in law, that's a serious surgery. My gosh...

That bug looks nasty Kristina...yuck.
Thanks Rain. I was totally shocked to find that bug. It's a big one too, like the size of a grasshopper (big one). Ugh.
Rain said…
Jeez....that's so grosse. I'm such a "mountain mamma" but I have to tell you I'm not a fan of any bugs! Your description gave me the heebie jeebies lol! And you know I don't scare easy lol!
Rain, I am not a fan of bugs either.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart