Skip to main content

Cowboy Candy ~ This and That



I was slicing up jalapenos early in the morning.  I wanted to make sure Daughter was up in time to leave for school super early.  They all went to a hair show today.  

Speaking of show, the 2 hour craft show wasn't that great.  Hardly any customers, but I sold a slouchy hat, a wrap around scarf and a set of boot cuffs.  Also, we learned a lot from the other ladies there - one sold organic non-gmo body care line (very cool stuff), and one knew a lot of info about natural healing.  My girls learned a lot even if we didn't have a lot of customers.  


I saved the ends of the jalapenos to freeze for meals.  Nothing wasted in this house for sure.  Especially with little to put up.

I dehydrated the little bit of rosemary I grew this year. Oregano is next today I hope.  The weather will turn much colder this week.





Comments

R's Rue said…
Yum.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Leanna said…
Chili weather is nearly here. I froze a bunch of presliced jalapenos in September along with all the other fixings and spices for chili in three separate bags. I just love jalapenos. I don't use canning jars that much even though I should because the electricity could go out for who knows how long and everything could get ruined. Canning is the way to go though.
Leanna, I do worry about the power when canning, if it's storming out, but otherwise I'm usually okay with it. We love cowboy candy, but I do freeze jalapenos too. I am leaving my plants go a few more days due to the weather, and hoping for more to freeze. They are so healthy for us too. Not to mention flavorful.
Luludou said…
Never had cowboy candy (in fact never heard of it before coming here). How fun that you could learn so much info from the ladies at the craft fair!
Row. said…
Ok now I’ve got to find out more about this cowboy candy, my husband loves jalapeños
Row, there are many recipes for Cowboy Candy online. Just google it. It's just jalapenos, sugar, apple cider vinegar and some spices. We love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart