Skip to main content

Dinners ~ More Canning

I woke up early looking like a cross between Medusa and Heat Miser.  Literally.  Sigh.  Hubby walked in the door last night about 4:30pm, and said, "I love you Honey" in a way in which it gave him away.  He took on the night shift last night and will work through first shift today.  I could not sleep and....well I'm up early.  Let's get this post posted and may the coffee and a hot shower give me super powers today.




Dinner Monday night after canning.  Homemade sloppy joes using home canned ketchup (the best), and sweet potato fries (white sweet potatoes and they are so creamy, and organic). 

Tuesday nights dinner . . .
Chicken enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce, and crock pot fried rice (both new recipes, actually 3).  I know "fried" rice is not a Mexican dish and Spanish rice is, but wanted to try it for a possible vegetarian potluck dish.

Guess what?  We did not like the rice recipe (hence no photo), but loved the homemade enchilada sauce (recipe online at "Gimme some Oven" and adapted with my home grown dried herbs, and organic ingredients).  Yum.  Sauce keeps up to 3 days in the fridge too.  My dinners have been based on what's in the freezer and pantry, so that helped make a decision for the next meal.

Tonight's dinner was voted in for a lentil (if I have lentils, I forgot to check) crock pot soup.  I need a crock pot something.  More canning is going on today, and I am not complaining either. We are so blessed to be able to re-stock some pantry items.  I just have to figure out what I am canning after I weigh the last of them.  

Have you heard about the orchard heists?  Two states near us have had apples and pumpkins stolen.  I read the apple orchard was picked completely clean.  Just sort of scary that this is happening.  


Comments

Vicki said…
My crock pot is my best friend on canning days. Yesterday it was scalloped potatoes and ham, made with my dehydrated potato slices. I have heard of those who garden in town having produce stolen, but this is the first time I have heard of an apple orchard being cleaned out. Sign of the times?
Vicki, I was thinking the same thing (sign of the times). They said the entire orchard was gone, and I can't remember the value of it. Very scary world we live in right now.
Pink Rose said…
Hi Kristina omg people stealing the whole orchard that's scary and also a worry ,hope they find the people that did it xx
Sheryl, yeah, the apple orchard is in MI, and I think they said the pumpkins were stolen in IN. Crazy.
Carol said…
I can't imagine someone stealing fruits from an orchard. Strange things happen these days. Those enchiladas look delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart