Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2018 Year in Review

2018

Our family lost 3 family members , one friend, and a dedicated barn cat in 2018, but we have some positive memories to share too.  Although, I would love to go through every single new thing we did, or how many rides, trips we were able to take, camping trips, or new recipes we tried, I'll keep this short.  It's always nice to go back and look at the positive things that happened over the last year.  



We pickled garlic for the first time.



We pickled eggs for the first time.




Pickled turnips for the first time.

Made a new homemade deodorant.


Tired morel mushrooms for the first time.


Baked my first strawberry pie.



I canned wild violet jelly for the first time.



I made radish hash browns for the first time, and they were fantastic!

The best part of the year?  Celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary.  




10 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Congratulations on all your accomplishments . . . especially your 20-year anniversary. In this crazy day and age, there aren't many folks who manage to do that and still be very happy together! :o}

Cherie said...

I haven't baked a strawberry pie in more than 30 years. I will this year. Happy New year.

Rain said...

Nice post! I like the new header photo too :)
How are the eggs? Do they taste vinegary when you eat them? I've never tried them before but thought about pickling some.
A great accomplishment and congratulations on your 20th!!! :)

Leigh said...

I'm so sorry about all your losses, but you have so many wonderful firsts to share. Hopefully 2019 will be better for us all.

Sam I Am...... said...

I obviously missed a lot! I've been wanting to roast radishes and I can remember years ago wondering why you never heard about cooking radishes but then I never tried. 20 years! Good for you guys! Your strawberry pie looks and I'm sure tasted great. Happy New Year!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Mama Pea, it is a world where marriages do not make it to 20 years. So glad to have found the man of my dreams.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Cherie.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Rain. The eggs are not too vinegary. We love them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Leigh, Happy New Year to you too!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am. Happy New Year to you too.