Skip to main content

Weather Updates ~ Crock Pot Dinner ~ From the Handiwork Journal

We all got up 15 minutes late on Thursday morning.  Yikes.  Daughter forgot her school book too.  I guess sleeping in a bit isn't a bad thing, but she can't miss the bus either.  Weather-wise it was just cold.  Nothing major... snow started about 11am (way before predicted). It's a warm 33°F this morning.

Snow is not always bad thing, unless we have wind.  That's the kicker in what we'll be doing.  You can't very much shovel until the storm is over either in that case.

They are now saying Sat-Mon will be the worst storm in 2 years.  


(dehydrated organic mushrooms)

The crock pot wins again - Chicken Lombardy.  I didn't have Marsala cooking wine, so I substituted the best I could with dry white wine and a splash of brandy.  So glad I dehydrated mushrooms.  It made making dinner so easy.  I just had to whip up some pasta to serve it on.


I also pulled some of those holiday dinner rolls out of the freezer.  It was a test run on how well they would taste after freezing the.

The results?  They tasted pretty good.  They were very soft.

. . . from the handiwork journal



Embellished paper clips


Heart Dishcloths


Heart cup/mug coasters


Heart Doilies


Heart key fobs (these were made last year).  I posted these, to remind myself to make more, as some have sold.

. . . almost ready for a spring craft show.  More to get restocked.

So, if you made it through my long post today, I have a confession.  I bought a cone of what I thought was 100% cotton yarn.  Sigh.  It's not.  Premier yarn is part polyester.  What projects would this be good for?  I had plans to make pot holder sets with it, and it's not 100% cotton.  I do not like Premier yarn either.  Oye.  I wonder if I could just use it for rugs.  That may be the case, unless you all have a better idea.  I can't send it back, because I already crocheted a piece to start, what I thought would be a set of pot holders.  I could tell by the feel that it was not 100% cotton yarn.  I need to read labels better.




Comments

RB said…
Your projects are all so pretty, and so useful too.
One hint though, a few years back, I made a dear friend a key ring with a needlepointed hummingbird sipping from a morning glory. I attached it to the ring with yarn. As beautiful as it was, it didn't last long because the yarn frayed and finally broke, leaving the piece unusable, and after all that work. :(
Keep warm.
I'm thinking crock pot chili here this weekend cause it's going to be cold here in NC too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Susan said…
I would say a rug - it would wear well and wash easily. I have done that, too, and it's so frustrating! Your work is so lovely, Kristina. We are hunkering in for the storm, too - it is a very, very BIG storm!
mamasmercantile said…
I love how you have embellished the paper clips, such a lovely stationary gift topper. Sorry to read about your error with the yarn, I have made the same mistake a few times.
RB, I have thought about the yarn fraying as well, but I can always attach another one. Thanks.
Susan, thanks. I will be making a rug next. I have wondered if the storm will hit your area too. We are preparing the best we can.
Thanks mamasmercantile. One year I gifted the kids the paper clips vs. candy on Valentine's Day. Only one kiddo living here now.
Rain said…
Hi Kristina :) Hope you find a solution for the yarn, I'm not good at that so cannot offer advice! I hope your storm isn't too bad. Great idea to dehydrate the mushrooms!
Leigh said…
Not a fan of non-natural yarns either. The polys make good baby goat coats. :) (washable). Everything looks really great though. The paperclips are cute and would make good book marks!
Henny Penny said…
I love all the heart things you've made. I've been working on an apron with a heart shape. Hope the storm doesn't get too bad. Is it a snow storm??
Rain, we eat a lot more mushrooms now that I have more on hand. It's great.
Leigh that's a great idea for the yarn and the paper clips.
Henny Penny, yes it's a snow storm with possible blizzard conditions.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart