Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, January 18, 2019

Weather Updates ~ Crock Pot Dinner ~ From the Handiwork Journal

We all got up 15 minutes late on Thursday morning.  Yikes.  Daughter forgot her school book too.  I guess sleeping in a bit isn't a bad thing, but she can't miss the bus either.  Weather-wise it was just cold.  Nothing major... snow started about 11am (way before predicted). It's a warm 33°F this morning.

Snow is not always bad thing, unless we have wind.  That's the kicker in what we'll be doing.  You can't very much shovel until the storm is over either in that case.

They are now saying Sat-Mon will be the worst storm in 2 years.  


(dehydrated organic mushrooms)

The crock pot wins again - Chicken Lombardy.  I didn't have Marsala cooking wine, so I substituted the best I could with dry white wine and a splash of brandy.  So glad I dehydrated mushrooms.  It made making dinner so easy.  I just had to whip up some pasta to serve it on.


I also pulled some of those holiday dinner rolls out of the freezer.  It was a test run on how well they would taste after freezing the.

The results?  They tasted pretty good.  They were very soft.

. . . from the handiwork journal



Embellished paper clips


Heart Dishcloths


Heart cup/mug coasters


Heart Doilies


Heart key fobs (these were made last year).  I posted these, to remind myself to make more, as some have sold.

. . . almost ready for a spring craft show.  More to get restocked.

So, if you made it through my long post today, I have a confession.  I bought a cone of what I thought was 100% cotton yarn.  Sigh.  It's not.  Premier yarn is part polyester.  What projects would this be good for?  I had plans to make pot holder sets with it, and it's not 100% cotton.  I do not like Premier yarn either.  Oye.  I wonder if I could just use it for rugs.  That may be the case, unless you all have a better idea.  I can't send it back, because I already crocheted a piece to start, what I thought would be a set of pot holders.  I could tell by the feel that it was not 100% cotton yarn.  I need to read labels better.




12 comments:

RB said...

Your projects are all so pretty, and so useful too.
One hint though, a few years back, I made a dear friend a key ring with a needlepointed hummingbird sipping from a morning glory. I attached it to the ring with yarn. As beautiful as it was, it didn't last long because the yarn frayed and finally broke, leaving the piece unusable, and after all that work. :(
Keep warm.
I'm thinking crock pot chili here this weekend cause it's going to be cold here in NC too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Susan said...

I would say a rug - it would wear well and wash easily. I have done that, too, and it's so frustrating! Your work is so lovely, Kristina. We are hunkering in for the storm, too - it is a very, very BIG storm!

mamasmercantile said...

I love how you have embellished the paper clips, such a lovely stationary gift topper. Sorry to read about your error with the yarn, I have made the same mistake a few times.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I have thought about the yarn fraying as well, but I can always attach another one. Thanks.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, thanks. I will be making a rug next. I have wondered if the storm will hit your area too. We are preparing the best we can.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile. One year I gifted the kids the paper clips vs. candy on Valentine's Day. Only one kiddo living here now.

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) Hope you find a solution for the yarn, I'm not good at that so cannot offer advice! I hope your storm isn't too bad. Great idea to dehydrate the mushrooms!

Leigh said...

Not a fan of non-natural yarns either. The polys make good baby goat coats. :) (washable). Everything looks really great though. The paperclips are cute and would make good book marks!

Henny Penny said...

I love all the heart things you've made. I've been working on an apron with a heart shape. Hope the storm doesn't get too bad. Is it a snow storm??

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, we eat a lot more mushrooms now that I have more on hand. It's great.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh that's a great idea for the yarn and the paper clips.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Henny Penny, yes it's a snow storm with possible blizzard conditions.