Skip to main content

Randomness ~ Four Beans and Sausage



Tiger is feeling better now.  In fact, the day we took him to the vet he got a shot and when we got home, he was running around the house chasing nothing, ha ha!  Then later I found a ball of yarn that was dragged all down the hallway, ha ha!

Every year we joke about what will get left out, after putting all the Christmas decor away.  I did it again this year!  Ha!  While pulling dried clothing off the drying rack, I noticed all the stocking holders sitting on the breakfast bar.  Hmpf!  Guess I'm digging out a tote to fit them in.

I finally got around to locating a Tupperware dealer.  I have lots of items that are cracked and need replaced.  I just have to pick up the phone and call her now.  Then go around and collect all the cracked stuff.

Has anyone used psyllium husk powder in a recipe?  I have a new recipe I want to try, and wonder if this stuff is available in most stores?  It's the "glue" in a recipe I want to make, but un-assure that I will be using it all before it goes bad.

It was another crock pot day, and we love this recipe, but it's adapted to using organic ingredients.  Organic smoked sausage is a thing, but hard to find.  In fact, we have plans to visit some health stores after this nasty weather breaks.

Here is the recipe (adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook)

Note:  I have used cooked dry beans for this before as well.  I do have stores close to me that sell BPA free canned organic beans, but supply is limited.



1 can organic Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can organic butter beans, rinsed and drained*
1 can organic red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups home canned (homemade) ketchup*
1/2 cup organic diced onion
1 organic green bell pepper, diced*
1/4 cup organic brown sugar
2 home grown cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce*
1/2 tsp. organic dry mustard
1/2 tsp. home canned hot sauce (or Tabasco sauce)
1 lb. organic smoked sausage, sliced into bite size pieces

Place everything in your crock pot and cook on low for 9-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.

Plan ahead during gardening seasoning, and freeze your green bell peppers to make this recipe even easier.  You can dehydrate your onions and re-hydrate them also.  Of course you can also dehydrate your garlic, but our supply of fresh is still providing.  I am getting low on home canned ketchup, so I am praying for a good garden year this year.  I may give it a try to grow black beans along with our usual pinto beans this year too.  Maybe even lima beans.

I have used Annie's organic Worcestershire sauce and personally do not like the taste at all.  For the amount used, I use a regular brand.  I cannot buy organic butter beans in any store close to me, so I stock up when I get to a store, or it can be ordered online as well.  I have substituted other organic white beans for butter beans, so feel free to mix it up.

The link to: Homemade Canned ketchup
The link to:  Home Canned Hot Sauce


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Yes, I've used psyllium seed husks in a recipe for "healthy" bread. Doesn't look like regular bread, but rather a heavy, dense loaf. It's readily available in our organic Co-op in bulk so I could buy as much as I wanted. It doesn't look like a powder but more like finely ground bread crumbs. I've stored mine in a glass canning jar in my cool (very cool right now!) pantry but I'm betting you could even freeze it in an airtight container for later use.
Wendy said…
Eating low carb I use Psyllium Husk a lot. You will most likely find it in the laxative dept of your supermarkt :-) If it are the husks and not the powder you can grind it in an electric coffee grinder or some machine alike.
Wendy
Pink Rose said…
Hi Kristina glad tiger is feeling alot better oh that casserole sounds amazing,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart