Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Hannah Sweet Potatoes ~ Polar Vortex ~ New Scarf

Not the best picture, but I never got sweet potatoes made with our sloppy joes, so I made them with the spinach/parsley pesto pasta.  I wanted beets to go with this dish, but you all know we had a terrible garden year.  Anyway, those are sweet potatoes in the photo.  Strangely, I was able to buy organic "hannah" sweet potatoes - a creamy potato that turns yellow when baked.  They were so good too.  I made them on a baking sheet with olive oil, brown sugar and cinnamon.

I also made the Beef Burgundy, so a post will be written soon to share. 

As for the weather?  Nasty.  Surprisingly, the car started, so Hubby is off to work.  I was hoping he would be home, but there are many cars on the road today.  So many businesses, schools etc. are closed today.  Including restaurants, the postal service, Amazon delivery trucks and more.  But no, my husband is essential to where he works, so I am praying the guys and gals there are not outside today.


I crocheted Jesse a new scarf, since his Mom lost his first one.  It's essential to keep him covered today, and it won't be a fun day.  I have to wait for daylight so I can make sure his booties stay on.  It's pitch dark out there and our pole light is not on (too cold). 

My only job today is to keep the pipes following and the fire going.  Stay warm and safe, for those experiencing the same weather as us.  We will have wind chills at a record breaking low.  Right now at 6:45am, our wind chill is at -22°F.

I keep hearing noises outside, but like I said, it's pitch dark.  I will try to look around on my way to the barn later.  The barn door froze shut yesterday, but I squeezed into another door.  I'm praying I can get in there today.  It's gonna be a very rough day here today.  And tomorrow.

It cracks me up when family, who lives in the city gives me advice (living in a farm house out in the middle of no where) on how to prep for this weather....bwahahahahahaha!  If they only knew.....like to bring in the barn cat and advice on burning wood in the wood stove when they don't even have one. Oh my land...ha ha ha ha!  

16 comments:

WILLIE...! =(^..^)= said...

HeHe! I'd love to see a City Walla do this in
the dinning room....(If it comes out)..H! Dear! :).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=wF5RXPndHf3hgwe6-IFY&q=funy+way+to+use+a+wood+stove&btnK=Google+Search&oq=funy+way+to+use+a+wood+stove&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30l3.1141937.1159241..1163629...2.0..0.185.3346.10j20......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j35i39j0i10j0i13j33i21j33i160j0i13i30j0i8i13i30j0i22i30.mnb5Mjq0bNk#btnK=Google%20Search&kpvalbx=1

Sue O said...

Stay safe! We are expecting cold tomorrow but thankfully not as severe.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Willie, you can also make a pot heater using a clay pot too.

Susan said...

It's amazing how many armchair experts there are out there, isn't it? Heck, they wouldn't last a day under our circumstances. Those frozen doors are the worst - my barn door is partially blocked by a frozen tree root and it's all I can do to squeeze in and out with the hay for the sheep. Take care of yourself (I know you will) for the next couple of days.

Pam said...

We have icy wind with bright sun today, our little dusting of snow has gone but we should have plenty tomorrow. Being so close to the coast it may not touch us at all.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sue.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, thanks for the chuckle. Yeah, I'm taking it easy, sipping herbal teas and making sure we get probiotics too. Had to laugh about squeezing into the doorway. I had to do it again and barely fit through it with all those layers on.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Pam, we too have sunshine thankfully. Even with bad weather it sure is a positive sight. Stay warm.

Vicki said...

A chilly -26 here this morning with a wind chill factor of -53. Nothing moving. Even the state capitol is closed.

I just love advice from the clueless, don't you? I see these sweet young things, tottering through the snow in their high heels, wearing their skimpy but fashionable jackets and designer jeans (the ones with holes artistically ripped down the legs) and think, "That little city girl wouldn't last one hour, lost out in the woods."

mamasmercantile said...

Just reading your temperatures is making me feel cold. The frigid temperatures in the USA have been on BBC World News advising people to stay in where possible. Take care and hopefully warm.

Henny Penny said...

Oh gosh, now I feel worried about you. That is awfully cold. It's supposed to drop down to 17 tonight which is very cold for us here in NC. The wind has been terrible too. The weather across the country has been terrible this winter. Looking at your reply to Willie...do you know how to make a clay pot heater?? I need one. Take care.

Mama Pea said...

One more day of this frigid weather with low, low temps and really nasty wind chills. Schools closed again tomorrow for third day in a row. No mail delivery here either. But we're all tough and will make it with a little extra work and caution! Stay warm and safe.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, thanks for the chuckle, and boy do you have colder temps than us. Stay warm.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Henny Penny, just google it and there are many YouTube videos on how to make a clay pot heater.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, it's very possible our schools will be back in session this Friday. They are now saying warmer temps moving in Thursday night.