Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Wacky Weather

The weather is just like any other year here in this state can you have a thunderstorm, hail storm, and snow in 24 hours.  Tuesday it was 52 and warm, no wind.  Suddenly we had a major thunderstorm, which quickly turned into a major hail storm. 



Wednesday morning the snow rolled in, along with cold temps.  I woke up to a stone cold wood stove.  Not good.  Took me forever to heat up the house again.  I think Hubby and I both were just too tired to remember to do the last stoking of the fire.


Dinner has been "on the fly."  One night it was breakfast for dinner - biscuits and sausage gravy, fried potatoes and scrambled "farm fresh" eggs.  

It would have been homemade pizza last night, but someone forgot to restock the mozzarella cheese.  


Here is a better look at my new candy dish.  We joked we'd put celery in it, ha ha!  Not sure what I'll put in it just yet.  Maybe organic mints.



(click here for the instructions)

I started making these ornaments way back in 2014.  Yikes.  As I removed the ornaments from the tree, I realized I had never finished them for some reason.  I will be adding this to my winter list.  First, I'll need to locate the box they are located in, ha ha!  I just may get them done this year.

There has been many breaking and enterings going on.  One recent one was a Cashland not far from home.  Oddly, the driver's ed used to be in the same building but moved over the years.  The guy probably drove past our homestead.  Either way, I'm always on guard and house kept locked.  I have two dogs here too to alert me.  I'm babysitting Mia again.

10 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

It doesn't seem to slow down after Christmas does it? Great picture of your weather....it's been pretty nice here but it's January so I'm sure some weather will show up sometime. It's cold this morning....24 F but will warm to 47 and it's sunny. Take care!

mamasmercantile said...

Wacky weather indeed, it seems to be happening all over the world. Love the red dish, would be a perfect for some after dinner mints. Loved the Christmas ornament, something to think about for next year.

Susan said...

Wow, your biscuits look wonderful! We are having the same wacky, wild weather and I'm about over with it. Too bad it's just started. I'm glad you have the dogs - that is the one thing that makes me feel safe, living alone. Hope they catch the thief soon!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, our weather is frigid cold, and will stay that way for awhile. Sadly. But...I'm taking advantage of it and getting indoor stuff done too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, thanks. We love the biscuits for breakfast gravy. Mmm good.

Mama Pea said...

We may have you all beat with a temp of only 13 above here at nearly noon. I think we had 3 above as an over night low.

Very scary knowing of break-ins and robberies close by. A relative once complained of a break-in in the house next door to them. She said it made them afraid to leave home. I said it would make me afraid to stay home! Hope the thieves are found soon. And, yes, having the dogs with you is a good idea.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Kristna wow lots going on weather wise at your place,buggar the fire going out.
Love your new candy dish ,your biscuits we call them scones over here and we have jam and cream on them so yummy.
Love you tiny xmas decorations ,they are so cute,hope you hav ea lovely day my friend xx

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, sometimes it is a bit scary going to the store. Especially when you know one next door was robbed. But yeah, I think this world we live in now is scary period. Your temps are much colder than ours. Brrr.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Sheryl, hoping your week is grand.