Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, January 11, 2019

Normalcy

We've hit the 20's here lately, and dipping into the teens at night.  The cold can really get to you, but I'm taking advantage of it with indoor jobs etc.

Now that the house is getting back to normal, I can get back to the kitchen.






Garlic powder and granulated garlic was made.  Just one more way to preserve my garlic without a root cellar (basement or proper storage area).  I then use these to make homemade spice/herb mixes, including homemade seasoned salt.


Strained another tincture.  

Found a quick fix for the coop door that leads out to the outside ramp.  It'll go on the inside, so both sides are secured.  I'm without "wheels" again (Big Red just needs replaced in my opinion), so it was work with what I had.  There has been no animal sightings whatsoever.  Hubby feels that the idiots in the woods (most likely illegal hunters) were the cause, but we still don't know.

I still had one daughter's dog (Mia) yesterday.   She is getting homemade food.  Her Mom didn't leave me enough of her dry dog food, so her belly is happy.  She was picked up last night.

I've been trying to squeeze in crochet time to work on the 11 "f" bombs.  I have 7 more to make.  In the midst, I'm getting some plans in motion for Christmas gifts for next Christmas.  Thank goodness for my notebook.




8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Wow, I am impressed by your Christmas gift making. I have made some notes thus far and generally start in the Summer. Glad to hear there has not been anymore issues with the chicken coop.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I generally have more free time in Jan-Feb, so I try and get handmade items done then. Otherwise it's a busy wood cutting, gardening year. I'm hoping for a good garden bounty this year too.

Anonymous said...

I actually love days when I don't have a rig, I feel "safe, trapped at home". Tell me more about your notebook? Is it a planner?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ruth, it's a simple 5 x 7 (about in inches) notebook. I keep pages in it for writing down gifts to make, books to buy, a wish list for the homestead, ideas for things to make and sell, my projects are listed that need completed, etc. I keep it in my nightstand and use it often. Keeps me organized.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Kristina what a great idea to do with the garlic,thankyou for sharing what you dod with it.Glad the chickens are ok,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

Leigh said...

That's what I need to do - make some garlic powder! Sounds like you're making good use of your indoor time while the weather is so cold.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sheryl, if you search my blog there is another post on how I grind up the dried garlic too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, it's a perfect time to heat up the kitchen with my dehydrator.