Skip to main content

Pickled Turnips

On a recent trip to the library, one librarian shared that she had been buying (Mediterranean) pickled turnips at a market, and wondered what the "pink" color was from (and if it was healthy).  She raved about the taste, so I came home and made some.

By the way, I was right on my first guess - the pink is from beets.  


I sliced my turnips in stick form.  The beet and hot pepper are at the bottom of the jar.  By the way, I will be making these again using the garlic vs. the chili pepper next.  I found a few ways to make them now. 





It was already turning pink as it cooled.  We waited 1 week before tasting these.  These are a low calorie nutrition packed snack (and can be added to salads etc.).

The results?

Delicious.  I had a few "peppery" slices, but overall, the rest were not.  They were very good.  I think these will be wonderful in lettuce wraps, breakfast wraps, a simple side, etc.  I'm so glad the librarian gave me the suggestion. 

Turnips benefit the health of your skin, hair and nails.  An immune boosting vegetable, source of iron, and even vitamin C.

You can eat the beets too.  I just haven't gotten down to the bottom to try them yet.

Pickled (Middle Eastern) Turnips
Makes 1 quart

1 small red beet, trimmed, peeled and quartered.
1 red chile pepper, halved lengthwise*
1 lb. turnips, trimmed, peeled and quartered*
1/2 cup red wine vinegar, organic
1 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Combine the beet, chile pepper, and turnips in a quart ball canning jar (or a jar that can withstand boiling liquid).

On the stove top, bring the vinegar, salt, sugar and water to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.

Pour the liquid into the quart jar with vegetables and hot pepper.  Cover and let cool.  Store in the refrigerator for at least a week before eating.

*Notes:  I used a jalapeno pepper, I could not find chile peppers this time of year.  I also sliced the turnip into rounds, then sliced the rounds into sticks.  You can also use garlic vs. chili pepper, but I haven't yet tried that.  I'll will be soon, when we devour our turnips and beets.







Comments

BeccaA said…
Will you post the recipe?
BeccaA, I'll be back to add it to this post in a bit. There are many online too. I want to retry this again, using the garlic vs. the hot pepper. This recipe tasted more like the beets, vs. a hot pepper, but very good (and healthy too).
mamasmercantile said…
I have never come across pickled turnips before so must give them a try. I do however pickle beets on a regular basis, a great treat all year round.
BeccaA said…
I'd like to hear how that turns out as well. By hot peppers do you mean the actual pepper or crushed red pepper flakes? I'm planning on buying some turnips and beets and anything else I need to give this a whirl this Saturday because it sounds good.
mamasmercantile, I do pickle beets too, which are canned. These are pickled raw, which I found interesting.
BeccaA, I have the recipe on this post now. Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart