Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Pickled Turnips

On a recent trip to the library, one librarian shared that she had been buying (Mediterranean) pickled turnips at a market, and wondered what the "pink" color was from (and if it was healthy).  She raved about the taste, so I came home and made some.

By the way, I was right on my first guess - the pink is from beets.  


I sliced my turnips in stick form.  The beet and hot pepper are at the bottom of the jar.  By the way, I will be making these again using the garlic vs. the chili pepper next.  I found a few ways to make them now. 





It was already turning pink as it cooled.  We waited 1 week before tasting these.  These are a low calorie nutrition packed snack (and can be added to salads etc.).

The results?

Delicious.  I had a few "peppery" slices, but overall, the rest were not.  They were very good.  I think these will be wonderful in lettuce wraps, breakfast wraps, a simple side, etc.  I'm so glad the librarian gave me the suggestion. 

Turnips benefit the health of your skin, hair and nails.  An immune boosting vegetable, source of iron, and even vitamin C.

You can eat the beets too.  I just haven't gotten down to the bottom to try them yet.

Pickled (Middle Eastern) Turnips
Makes 1 quart

1 small red beet, trimmed, peeled and quartered.
1 red chile pepper, halved lengthwise*
1 lb. turnips, trimmed, peeled and quartered*
1/2 cup red wine vinegar, organic
1 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Combine the beet, chile pepper, and turnips in a quart ball canning jar (or a jar that can withstand boiling liquid).

On the stove top, bring the vinegar, salt, sugar and water to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.

Pour the liquid into the quart jar with vegetables and hot pepper.  Cover and let cool.  Store in the refrigerator for at least a week before eating.

*Notes:  I used a jalapeno pepper, I could not find chile peppers this time of year.  I also sliced the turnip into rounds, then sliced the rounds into sticks.  You can also use garlic vs. chili pepper, but I haven't yet tried that.  I'll will be soon, when we devour our turnips and beets.







6 comments:

BeccaA said...

Will you post the recipe?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

BeccaA, I'll be back to add it to this post in a bit. There are many online too. I want to retry this again, using the garlic vs. the hot pepper. This recipe tasted more like the beets, vs. a hot pepper, but very good (and healthy too).

mamasmercantile said...

I have never come across pickled turnips before so must give them a try. I do however pickle beets on a regular basis, a great treat all year round.

BeccaA said...

I'd like to hear how that turns out as well. By hot peppers do you mean the actual pepper or crushed red pepper flakes? I'm planning on buying some turnips and beets and anything else I need to give this a whirl this Saturday because it sounds good.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I do pickle beets too, which are canned. These are pickled raw, which I found interesting.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

BeccaA, I have the recipe on this post now. Enjoy!