Skip to main content

Tuna-Corn Pie ~ A Meal from Leftovers

It's 13°F (feels like -1°F) this morning. The pups are sporting their winter coats and their hand crocheted dog scarves.  Brr.

I now have a slight cough😟, regardless of resting and remedies.  I am however, resting again today, although last night I was feeling good enough to resume my exercise today.  I will do a few yoga stretches.  In the mean time I have lots of handiwork, and many library books to look over and read.

I do have two good herbs here for coughs - mullein and comfrey, and will be adding more thyme to my soup today.  I will also either steam with eucalyptus or take a warm soak in the tub.  

After our 18-year old babysat, she did grocery shopping for Mom, and I explained to all that I would not be going out until I was much better.  Considering what happened the last time I visited a hospital.  The flu is horrible here, and two of the little ones (great great nieces to us) became sick at the meal after the funeral and now have the flu.  We heard from our missing in action daughter (my step-daughter) and one her her littles have the flu (she has two we are grandparents to, but never see her).  It's just a good time to stay home and out of places.  For me anyway.  



Thyme - 

Did you know thyme is high in anti-fungal properties as well as antioxidants?  It helps boost the immune system, and it helps break down mucus and remove it from your body.  Gargling with salt water helps put a stop to it draining down your throat, but you can gargle with a thyme tea as well. 

Thyme is very easy to grow too.  In our area, it is a perennial plant.  I do not have to bring it in during winter thankfully.  However, I do have to plant a lot of it, so I can dehydrate it for the winter months.  My first step into self sufficiency, and homesteading, was growing an herb garden when I lived in the city. I dug it up and transported it during our next two moves, which landed us here.



Back to the Tuna recipe. . .

I love to whip up leftovers into another entirely different meal, and especially around any given holiday, get together, or party.  I love dreaming up new meals, so the leftovers are not so mundane (as one child reminds me).

I whipped this up over a week ago, and wanted to share.  

Leftover creamed corn and mashed potatoes combined with a few other ingredients make one delicious "pie."

You can also simply make these to ingredients or buy creamed corn and mashed potatoes if you so desire to as well.  


Tuna-Corn Pie
3 cans (5 oz. each), wild caught, soy free cans albacore or other pure tuna, drained and flaked
2 cups creamed corn, organic*
2-3 cups mashed potatoes, organic
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated organic cheddar cheese



Mix tuna and corn and pour into a pie baking dish.  At this point, it's my husband who says, "that needs some cowboy candy or jalapenos in it," ha ha!  I'll admit, it tastes good, but I may whip up some greens to add to the mix next time (or add some green onions into the mashed potatoes perhaps).



Spread mashed potatoes over tuna mixture.  Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, remove from oven sprinkle on cheese, bake another 10 minutes.

*Note:  most cheaper varieties of canned tuna contain soy, so that is why I noted "soy free" on the recipe ingredients.  Non-organic soy is typically genetically modified.  Just an F.Y.I. if you avoiding those types of food.  I don't even understand why soy has to be added to canned tuna anyway. You could also use leftover baked salmon possibly.  I just haven't tried it that way yet.




Here is how I make my creamed corn.  I do not buy "heavy cream" from the store for this, however it is sold "organic" now.

Creamed Corn
3 cups frozen "off the cob" organic corn thawed

Cook the corn, add a bit of salt.



In the meantime, melt 1/3 cup of organic butter and mix into 3/4 cup whole milk.

To the cooked corn, add 1 Tbsp. organic butter, 2 Tbsp. organic flour, and after butter is melted slowly stir in the "homemade" heavy cream.  Taste before adding more salt and pepper.   The butter (if you have salted butter) may be enough.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  

We like to add Parmesan cheese to our creamed corn. It's really up to you.

Add more milk if needed.  Want less of a pie?  Just reduce the tuna by one can, reduce the creamed corn to 1 cup, and 1-2 cups mashed potatoes.

Comments

Susan said…
Oh, my! This is my kind of leftover recipe! I will have to bookmark this and make it when I have leftover mashed potatoes!! The flu is rampant around here, too. While I'm not a germaphobe, I do not take chances this time of year and steer clear of crowds.
mamasmercantile said…
Love the look of the pie, I am a fan of a potato topping so will be giving it a try. Hope you feel better soon, there are so many virus's/flu's around at the moment.
Rain said…
Kristina, I hope you keep well. One thing about Alex and me living a pretty reclusive life is that we tend to keep away from people germs. I feel lucky that I haven't had a flu in nearly 10 years...knock on wood! Thanks for the information about the thyme! I love the stuff and we could definitely use some of that tea during the winter. The heating here is so dry and we get congested from it.
Susan, it was delicious. Hubby loved it. One daughter stopped in and raided it too. Yeah, I'm staying away from crowds right now.
mamasmercantile, you could spice it up with any herb or other ingredient too. Thanks, I am heading in the right direction of healing up I think.
Rain, it's never dry in my house this time of year, lol! I hang my laundry on racks in two rooms, on a clothesline indoors and on shower rods (when it's this cold out and no wind and no sun). We get moisture from it. I'm sure I got whatever I got from the hospital, along with being emotionally strained (funeral, Mom is hospital etc). I'm trying my best to not over due anything.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart