Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

It's beginning to look brighter, earlier in the days here.  Sunrises are pink and beautiful,and it does help with rising earlier now.  This cold winter has made me lazy in the mornings.  Happy Valentine's Day, by the way.  

Hubby had to fix the gas line on our daughter's car (18 yr.).  Luckily, it's was fixable without buying parts.  However, my car needs back brakes now.  Not sure when or how it'll get done (too cold to work outdoors, and with his hours).

I've been reading "sheet pan" dinner cookbooks from the library lately (when I have a few minutes).



I think these are as fun and easy as crock pot meals.  Less dirty dishes too. This one was wonderful!  The green beans are cooked first with a mix of olive oil, tarragon, minced garlic (although original recipe called for cloves cut in half) organic dijon mustard etc.  Then the salmon is added, sherry is mixed into remaining olive oil mix, and poured over salmon.  The flavors were amazing. I'm going to use these flavors for simply baking the green beans some day.  I still have a good supply in the freezer.


Here are two cookbooks that have lots of easy and healthy recipes.  Not that I need more new recipes, but this helps me with less dirty dishes, quicker and easier meals, and basic meat and veggie recipes. I apologize for cutting the top off the second book. It starts with "200 Best."

Hubby has been sick since yesterday.  It's mainly his stomach.  When he called from work and said he had the chills, I immediately asked if he had a fever.  Nope. 

I also filled the essential oil diffuser in our bedroom, grated some fresh ginger and made him a hot cup of tea.  It helped, but he's still not well, and went to work today.  He's out of "sick" days at work.  I think I will brew up a crock pot full of homemade chicken noodle soup and a batch of homemade ginger-ale too.






Comments

Linda said…
Although I have not heard about sheet pan meals, I have been cooking them lately. I put a piece of parchment paper back with foil in the pan and there is no pan to wash, or pots. pans, or skillets.
mamasmercantile said…
Sorry to hear he is still not well, there are so many different virus's doing the rounds. Here in the UK hospitals are full due to this years flu cases. Hopefully some good hot soup and ginger ale will perk him up.
Thanks mamasmercantile. I am brewing up the ginger-ale right now, and the soup too.
Rain said…
Hi Kristina :) I hope your hubby heals quickly! Alex had stomach trouble a while back and we found that rosemary essential oil mixed with olive oil, rubbed on his stomach and abdomen helped the pain a lot. Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you both can share a romantic evening! xx
baili said…
wishing health to you hubby my friend!

i would love to see your beautiful sunrises .this is great that weather is being friendly here for you
Thank you baili. I hope to get a sunrise photo to share soon. Today it is overcast and rain arriving.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart