Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

It's beginning to look brighter, earlier in the days here.  Sunrises are pink and beautiful,and it does help with rising earlier now.  This cold winter has made me lazy in the mornings.  Happy Valentine's Day, by the way.  

Hubby had to fix the gas line on our daughter's car (18 yr.).  Luckily, it's was fixable without buying parts.  However, my car needs back brakes now.  Not sure when or how it'll get done (too cold to work outdoors, and with his hours).

I've been reading "sheet pan" dinner cookbooks from the library lately (when I have a few minutes).



I think these are as fun and easy as crock pot meals.  Less dirty dishes too. This one was wonderful!  The green beans are cooked first with a mix of olive oil, tarragon, minced garlic (although original recipe called for cloves cut in half) organic dijon mustard etc.  Then the salmon is added, sherry is mixed into remaining olive oil mix, and poured over salmon.  The flavors were amazing. I'm going to use these flavors for simply baking the green beans some day.  I still have a good supply in the freezer.


Here are two cookbooks that have lots of easy and healthy recipes.  Not that I need more new recipes, but this helps me with less dirty dishes, quicker and easier meals, and basic meat and veggie recipes. I apologize for cutting the top off the second book. It starts with "200 Best."

Hubby has been sick since yesterday.  It's mainly his stomach.  When he called from work and said he had the chills, I immediately asked if he had a fever.  Nope. 

I also filled the essential oil diffuser in our bedroom, grated some fresh ginger and made him a hot cup of tea.  It helped, but he's still not well, and went to work today.  He's out of "sick" days at work.  I think I will brew up a crock pot full of homemade chicken noodle soup and a batch of homemade ginger-ale too.






Comments

Linda said…
Although I have not heard about sheet pan meals, I have been cooking them lately. I put a piece of parchment paper back with foil in the pan and there is no pan to wash, or pots. pans, or skillets.
mamasmercantile said…
Sorry to hear he is still not well, there are so many different virus's doing the rounds. Here in the UK hospitals are full due to this years flu cases. Hopefully some good hot soup and ginger ale will perk him up.
Thanks mamasmercantile. I am brewing up the ginger-ale right now, and the soup too.
Rain said…
Hi Kristina :) I hope your hubby heals quickly! Alex had stomach trouble a while back and we found that rosemary essential oil mixed with olive oil, rubbed on his stomach and abdomen helped the pain a lot. Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you both can share a romantic evening! xx
baili said…
wishing health to you hubby my friend!

i would love to see your beautiful sunrises .this is great that weather is being friendly here for you
Thank you baili. I hope to get a sunrise photo to share soon. Today it is overcast and rain arriving.

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...