Skip to main content

Hot Pepper Pickled Eggs ~ Trial #2

I decided to make the second trial run, using Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar (vs. white organic/non-gmo vinegar).  I have access to it by the gallon, and white organic vinegar is not available in stores. And it more expensive by the gallon.  So...

Here is what I did for this jar of hot pepper pickled eggs.
 




Hot Pepper Pickled Eggs
1 1/2 cups water (I used our well water)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, organic (Bragg's)
2 Tbsp. homemade pickling spice
4  jalapenos, sliced 
1/2 of a large onion, sliced

Bring the ingredients to a boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes longer.  A longer boil seems to help keep heat up the flavor of the hot peppers.

Pour over eggs that have been boiled, cooled and peeled and placed into  a quart canning jar (or larger).  Add more water to cover eggs if needed.  Place a lid and rim on, and allow to cool.  Refrigerate for a week before eating, and keep eggs refrigerated until gone.

The results?  These had a bit more hot pepper flavor, but not as hot as eating a hot pepper.  We popped the jar open after splitting wood on Sunday, and enjoyed a few.  Yum. 




Comments

Rain said…
They look great! I'd be chugging a bottle of Pepto after eating just a bite though! :)
mamasmercantile said…
They sound delicious, how long do they last once opened?
mamasmercantile, experts say 3-4 months, but I've had pickled veggies last up to 6 months.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart