Skip to main content

Our last Christmas gathering

Yeah, you read the title right!  My side of the family didn't get together in December like normal people.  Then again, what is normal?

Thursday afternoon, our 18 year-old daughter drove to one of the "Big Cities" and had a 2nd job interview.  She wanted a new phone, so while she was there, she stopped at the area mall and phone store there.  

Big mistake. 

They had a rookie employee, and the boss.  The boss left, after trying to push sales onto her first. 

Next, the guy had no clue what he was doing.  After almost five hours, with us trying to call and text her in panic as to where she was, she came in the house crying like a hot mess.  A serious hot mess.


He not only had her pay $1.15 for her phone, but sent her home with no service.  She had no GPS to guide on unfamiliar roads to get back home, and no service to call us.  It was dark and raining.

I tried calling the store. No answer.

Friday morning, I had rolls to divide and let rise, so I did that first, then we took off on our unexpected and unnecessary drive.  We had to take her mess of a car too.  Mine is still out of business (brakes).  I grabbed a crochet order and worked on that on the way there, giving Daughter directions, and a quicker and easier way to get there.

About 2 hours later, the phone was fixed, service on, Mom signed her "John Hancock" to verify an account holder was present, and we headed back home.  What an ordeal.  Then I find out the guy flirted with her on Thursday night, told her he was a bouncer in the other big city, and could "get her in."  

Momma bear kicked in.  This guy was reported, not by me, but by our daughter.  Then this guy actually texted her, because he asked her for her phone number at the phone store, and said he was sorry.  The gawl of this guy.  He texted her while we were there on Friday.  I let the guy working there know too.  Just inappropriate.




Back home, the rolls were baked, and like a mad woman I boiled the sweet potato, rolled the pie crust and popped the pie into the oven just in time to bake it before Hubby arrived home.

We had date night planned for our late Valentine's dinner, because he was sick on Valentine's Day.  We really needed a night to ourselves too.


But, one daughter left, the other was eating with friends, and had not taken the house key I just had made, and explained to the both of them - keep it with you at ALL times.  Sigh....

We got our date night, but what a mess of a day.  Crazy.

Saturday was the big gathering.  Although it was our very late "Christmas" gathering, I didn't bake candy and cookies.  I'm so done with that season.   



(Jars of Carrot Cake Jam, made with homegrown carrots and homegrown pear).

I gifted everyone carrot cake jam and cherry-bourbon BBQ sauce.  

When we left from that gathering, we took leftover rolls and dip to Hubby's family "fish fry."  Yeah, I was tired.

Sunday, I crocheted like a mad woman, losing out an entire Saturday of working in the afghan.  We also took our Army daughter out for a belated birthday dinner, but was so worth taking the time to do it.  She very much enjoyed it.

It snowed Saturday night, but it's raining today and warming up to the mid 40's.  I apologize for the long post.  I've been "MIA" due to the busy, entertainment packed weekend.  I hate to tell Hubby, but I can't be running around to every invitation lately.  It'll be okay to say no once in a while.  Right?



Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Now that was a busy weekend and yes you are so right it is alright to say no occasionally. Love your food gifts, so thoughtful and made with love.
Mama Pea said…
You're darn tootin' you have the right to say "no" to some invitations. You HAVE to or you're going to run yourself right into the ground. Whadda weekend. Would have taken me a week just to recover from it!
Susan said…
That kid’s boss should be reported, too. He’s obviously not doing HIS job. So glad your daughter got home safely, poor kid. I vote in favor of saying ‘no’ whenever you feel like it - you need a break!
Mama Pea, it may take all week to recover, ha ha!
Susan, you are right about the boss. Yep. Sayin' no more often or I am gonna get run down.
Sam I Am...... said…
WE have no trouble saying "no" as one of our first words as a child and then it gets drilled out of us....especially women! Good golly, glad you had some fun but you can't truly enjoy yourself if you're exhausted. Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart