Skip to main content

Refrigerator Pickles


The cucumbers did not listen to me.  I brought in 6 over-sized-not-good-to-can cucumbers, along with about 16 more good ones.  I ran to the store and got ingredients to make a few quarts of Refrigerator Pickles.....
.....but Mom saved me.  She came out and took them to share with my younger brother and his family too.  Phew!  I just have no time this week, and I'll explain why later.

As for the huge cucumbers, the girls are making facial masks and using slices for their eyes.  The rest will be treats for the chickens.

Here is the recipe for the fridge pickles if you are interested (I cut this out of an Organic Gardening magazine way back in 2011 {I think}).


Refrigerator Pickles

1 lb. med. cucumbers, organic
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
1/2 tsp. whole mustard seed
1 tsp. fresh dill weed
1 whole dried bay leaf
2/3 cup brown sugar
6 1/2 Tbsp. white distilled vinegar
6 1/2 Tbsp. white-wine vinegar
3/4 cup water

Cut the cucumbers into slices (or spears) and place in a 2-qt. container (or 2 - 1 qt. canning jars) with a lid.  Add the garlic, peppercorns, mustard seed, dill weed, and bay leaf.

Stir together the brown sugar, vinegars, and water.  Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and shake the jar well to combine.  Cover and chill for at least 24 hours.  These will last up to 3 months in the refrigerator.

Note:  I like to add this recipe to one single quart jar (not two).  It gives the pickles a better flavor.  I do use my own homegrown garlic, and dill weed as well.

Comments

EMMA said…
Do you not need to heat the sugars and vinegars?
I will be trying this - just waiting for my cucumbers - who seem to be in no hurry to grow!!
No need to heat. Just mix and refrigerate. They last up to 3 months in the jar (refrigerated). My kids love these.
Liz said…
My mother in law always made these. They were so good. I will have to give this recipe a try.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart