Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 21, 2014

10 days ~ Hubby's in the Goat Shed!

It's hard to believe 10 days can pass so quickly.  We had good food, good times, and many (many) movie nights.  


Son is on his way to NC today with 5 weeks of combat training.  Then he will fly straight to Twentynine Palms, CA for his MSO training, where he will earn himself an electrician's journeymen card.  I'm not sure on exact amount of time in CA, but I was told almost a year.

Last night, my youngest daughter came to me and asked, "can I just go sit on him?"  Meaning, she didn't want him to leave so quickly, ha ha!




Hubby and two daughters picked beans for me, and yes there were more than I thought I'd have.  I had only missed picking them Saturday, and could not imagine so many growing on 3 rows in two days.

Here is the shock, the horror, the shake-your-head-in-shame moment....

As we were sitting and removing ends, he mentions picking "vine beans."  Immediately I started digging through the basket and telling him we did not plant "vine" green beans.  Immediately I wanted to send him to the goat shed to spend the night.

Hubby obviously doesn't listen me.  In that basket, more than 3/4 of them, were pinto beans.  If you grow beans for dry beans, you can imagine what I was feeling.  He picked every one of them!  These have to dry on the vine.

He assumed they were vine green beans, and I even told him I planted "pinto beans."  So, those won't be eaten and enjoyed as dry pinto beans this year.  I even told him there are 3 rows (not a fence) to pick - 2 green and 1 wax beans.  I think this garden story tops the year he mowed down my heirloom green beans with the mower, chasing chickens, and tried to blame it on an animal.

I left that basket of pinto beans sit on the table.  It's still there, reminding him of what he did.  I know, I'm mean, but he'll never do that again if I can help it.  

He tells me, "it'll be fine, even more will grow now that we picked them" but that man has no clue.  It takes about 90 days for pinto beans to even grow.  It's already late July.  Hmpf.  

...and try telling him that almost all dry beans in stores are contain gmo's.  All of the seeds I bought this year were non-gmo/organic/heirloom etc.

.....just another gardening day at the "Little House on the Highway."













7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Ooops. There probably aren't too many of us dyed-in-the-wool gardeners around who haven't had a "disaster" such as that happen by having someone who isn't intimately familiar with the garden help. I have two such stories like that I could tell, but I won't to protect the guilty!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha ha! Mama Pea, I warned Hubby he was getting highlighted in my blog post today, ha ha! He's feeling pretty guilty. The day before, when he was weed wacking, he took off a new growth on my red raspberry plant. Today it looks half dead. Another oops for him.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha ha! Mama Pea, I warned Hubby he was getting highlighted in my blog post today, ha ha! He's feeling pretty guilty. The day before, when he was weed wacking, he took off a new growth on my red raspberry plant. Today it looks half dead. Another oops for him.

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, so sad....it's enough to make you cry. If I was hubby, I would steer clear of you AND the garden for at least a few days.....ouch, that hurts.

Liz said...

I guess I am lucky my hubby will only pick tomatoes! Safe travels to your son!

RB said...

Since you're talking about beans, I have a funny story to tell. One year, our city cousin, Rick, at about age 10 or 12 I guess came out supposedly to help in the garden.

We were out planting green beans. Dad would trow the row with a hoe, one kid would lay 3 beans every so many inches, and later, another kid would come behind and cover the row up with a rake.

Well, Dad (he was a practical joker) told Rick he had planted his beans wrong, all helter skelter - that they had to have the black dot pointed up because that dot is where the plant would come from and when the sprout grew, it would grow whatever direction the dot was pointed at, so the dot couldn't be planted down or sideways, or the plant would never get out of the dirt.

So Rick went back his whole row and turned all those seeds black dot up while we all stood watching and waiting for him to finish. Then he looked at the row next to him that Sister Pattie had planted, noticed they weren't all black dot up, and muttered that hers would never grow right either. That's when we all started laughing, and the kid realized he'd been had.

Funny remembering that after all these years.

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thanks for sharing that story, ha ha!