Skip to main content

10 days ~ Hubby's in the Goat Shed!

It's hard to believe 10 days can pass so quickly.  We had good food, good times, and many (many) movie nights.  


Son is on his way to NC today with 5 weeks of combat training.  Then he will fly straight to Twentynine Palms, CA for his MSO training, where he will earn himself an electrician's journeymen card.  I'm not sure on exact amount of time in CA, but I was told almost a year.

Last night, my youngest daughter came to me and asked, "can I just go sit on him?"  Meaning, she didn't want him to leave so quickly, ha ha!




Hubby and two daughters picked beans for me, and yes there were more than I thought I'd have.  I had only missed picking them Saturday, and could not imagine so many growing on 3 rows in two days.

Here is the shock, the horror, the shake-your-head-in-shame moment....

As we were sitting and removing ends, he mentions picking "vine beans."  Immediately I started digging through the basket and telling him we did not plant "vine" green beans.  Immediately I wanted to send him to the goat shed to spend the night.

Hubby obviously doesn't listen me.  In that basket, more than 3/4 of them, were pinto beans.  If you grow beans for dry beans, you can imagine what I was feeling.  He picked every one of them!  These have to dry on the vine.

He assumed they were vine green beans, and I even told him I planted "pinto beans."  So, those won't be eaten and enjoyed as dry pinto beans this year.  I even told him there are 3 rows (not a fence) to pick - 2 green and 1 wax beans.  I think this garden story tops the year he mowed down my heirloom green beans with the mower, chasing chickens, and tried to blame it on an animal.

I left that basket of pinto beans sit on the table.  It's still there, reminding him of what he did.  I know, I'm mean, but he'll never do that again if I can help it.  

He tells me, "it'll be fine, even more will grow now that we picked them" but that man has no clue.  It takes about 90 days for pinto beans to even grow.  It's already late July.  Hmpf.  

...and try telling him that almost all dry beans in stores are contain gmo's.  All of the seeds I bought this year were non-gmo/organic/heirloom etc.

.....just another gardening day at the "Little House on the Highway."













Comments

Mama Pea said…
Ooops. There probably aren't too many of us dyed-in-the-wool gardeners around who haven't had a "disaster" such as that happen by having someone who isn't intimately familiar with the garden help. I have two such stories like that I could tell, but I won't to protect the guilty!
Ha ha! Mama Pea, I warned Hubby he was getting highlighted in my blog post today, ha ha! He's feeling pretty guilty. The day before, when he was weed wacking, he took off a new growth on my red raspberry plant. Today it looks half dead. Another oops for him.
Ha ha! Mama Pea, I warned Hubby he was getting highlighted in my blog post today, ha ha! He's feeling pretty guilty. The day before, when he was weed wacking, he took off a new growth on my red raspberry plant. Today it looks half dead. Another oops for him.
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh, so sad....it's enough to make you cry. If I was hubby, I would steer clear of you AND the garden for at least a few days.....ouch, that hurts.
Liz said…
I guess I am lucky my hubby will only pick tomatoes! Safe travels to your son!
RB said…
Since you're talking about beans, I have a funny story to tell. One year, our city cousin, Rick, at about age 10 or 12 I guess came out supposedly to help in the garden.

We were out planting green beans. Dad would trow the row with a hoe, one kid would lay 3 beans every so many inches, and later, another kid would come behind and cover the row up with a rake.

Well, Dad (he was a practical joker) told Rick he had planted his beans wrong, all helter skelter - that they had to have the black dot pointed up because that dot is where the plant would come from and when the sprout grew, it would grow whatever direction the dot was pointed at, so the dot couldn't be planted down or sideways, or the plant would never get out of the dirt.

So Rick went back his whole row and turned all those seeds black dot up while we all stood watching and waiting for him to finish. Then he looked at the row next to him that Sister Pattie had planted, noticed they weren't all black dot up, and muttered that hers would never grow right either. That's when we all started laughing, and the kid realized he'd been had.

Funny remembering that after all these years.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, thanks for sharing that story, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart