Skip to main content

Squash Patties ~ Talking to the Cucumbers


Last season, due to storms and wind, and rain, we lost our garden.  This year, we are blessed with yellow squash.  YAY!  One of the family's favorites, is a recipe we make using yellow squash - Squash Patties.  By the way, we top these with sour cream.  Absolutely delicious!  We do follow the recipe, but add the sour cream on top.  



You can jazz them up any way you'd like.  Hubby chopped up a jalapeno and added it to a few for himself.


I spent most of yesterday washing up more laundry.  It would appear that someone in the military lives here, ha ha!



I froze my first bag of green beans this season.  Today I'm shredding and freezing zucchini.  

Am I the only one who talks to their garden?  While picking my green beans, I told the cucumbers that the need to grow slowly, and give me a chance to catch up.  I hope they were listening. 




Comments

Sandra said…
Oh my word those look divine. I will have to try them.
Liz said…
I just came across that recipe in a magazine! I am glad they were good cause I see lots of them in our future! My beans are just blooming. Cant wait for a big pot full of them!
Unknown said…
I cheer them on regularly :)
Sam I Am...... said…
I have a recipe box on allrecipes.com so that was really easy. they look yummy! Thank you!
Susan said…
That recipe has been added to my stash - they look delicious! No, you are definitely not alone. I talk to my plants, my dogs, my cats, you name it. I feel that it helps the vegetables along. I hadn't thought about asking them to slow down, but maybe that's not a bad idea!
EMMA said…
Thanks for sharing yet another great recipe. We tried your teriyaki sauce last night - amazing (I just left out the corn syrup and added a bit more honey).
I talk to my 'cornichions' (pickles) and ask them please all be ready at the same time - makes pickling them easier (usually they don't co-operate and send out a pickle every few days).
Emma, I'm glad you liked the teriyaki sauce. It's good to know honey works as well in it too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart