Skip to main content

Homemade Goat's Milk Cream Cheese ~ Whey

(photo of them very young)

Bonnie and Ava are still not sold (the two doelings), but even so, we are getting some goat's milk.  I hopped on the computer and ordered myself some non-gmo vegetable rennet, and waited patiently for it to arrive.

What did I make?

Although I got scolded by the goat's milk police for stealing 4 1/2 quarts of stashed goat's milk a while ago, I wanted to make something new this year.

I made goat's milk cream cheese (recipe I used is linked).  Yum.  It's draining today, so we can't wait to taste it. I did use the buttermilk too.

(Update:  7/2/14, if you make this recipe, using buttermilk is risky and I am ordering the culture to make the next batch.  I would not recommend using the buttermilk.)

Immediately, my daughter (the goat care-taker) asked if she could make strawberry cream cheese.  Well, of course she can.  Yum!

This batch of cream cheese should give me about 2 cups of whey.  I see, from searching the internet, that you can put some of it in lemonade to drink (for a probiotic drink).  What do you do with your whey?  I'd love some ideas. 

Our milk supply is caught up now, so I'm actually being told to make a batch of ricotta cheese.  Mmmm.  Can't wait to make a lasagna or something.

It's a busy week and we got more rain last night.  More later....



Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
I don't have goat's milk or whey so I guess I won't be doing much in that arena but I'm making pickles...does that count?
Susan said…
Oh, that sounds wonderful! I use whey for smoothies and it makes the best rice and polenta. I also use it as a substitute for water in alot of recipes.
Susan, thanks for the tips on whey. I may freeze it to use for making rice next time.

Sam I Am, Pickles sound great! Our cucumbers are not ready yet.
Nancy Jo said…

Oh they are so cute. I bet you will miss them when they are sold.
Nancy Jo

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart