Skip to main content

Homemade Italian Dressing with a Dab of Honey


I needed Italian dressing for a steak marinade and did not have any on hand.  I checked my cupboards and made this from scratch.  If you are interested in the recipe, I got it from
Penniless Parenting - Zesty Italian Dressing.

I wish I would have taken a photo of the steak and potatoes, because this dressing helped make it.  I had sirloin tip steaks in the freezer, and needed to take them out to make room for our 28 chickens.

As you read yesterday, it was a "crock pot" day.  I placed the steaks in the crock pot.  I minced fresh garlic over them, and added salt and pepper (extra for flavor).  In a bowl I mixed 1 cup of barbeque sauce, 1 cup of my homemade Italian dressing, and a 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce. I poured it over the steaks and let it cook on low for about 5 hours.

Oh my gosh!  The meat was practically falling apart.  The kids loved it.  I think it would make wonderful sandwiches too, but it's great with mashed potatoes.  I would have had broccoli too, but it won't get picked until today.

I will be making a large salad today, to go with all of our grilling fixin's, so the rest of the Italian dressing won't be wasted.

Oh, and Worcestershire sauce is next on my list to make, but I'm wondering if it's worth it.  There are so many ingredients to make it, however I found a recipe that has a shorter list - Easy Homemade Worcestershire Sauce.

Last year I canned homemade taco sauce and ketchup, which we all love.  Ever since I read the book, Tomatoland, I have pushed myself to can whatever I can possibly can, with tomatoes (vs. buy it in the store).  This year I may just can some barbeque sauce too.  It will depend on time and tomatoes.  

As for the weather here, it rained again last night.  Sigh. I thought yesterday was bad with all the mud and sweat, but today it may just be worse.  However, my cucumbers are on and so are some green bell peppers.  I am also thankful for full rain barrels.  I can't help but wonder if a dry spell will follow this recent "wet" spell here.

Comments

Winnie said…
Kristina, you are always finding the neatest recipes and ideas! The wet soggy summer continues with a vengeance from your area to the east coast. We cannot seem to get a break down here. 90 degrees plus rain showers every day. I would welcome a dry spell!!
Amy Dingmann said…
Italian dressing is our favorite, so I thank you for the recipe!

I have canned tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, and BBQ sauce in the past...not sure what we will can this year as the tomato crop is looking mighty iffy! I hope you get a lot so you can make a lot! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart