Skip to main content

Keeping Letter Writing Alive ~ A Work Week


Remember my girls writing letters?  My 11 year-old wrote 3 letters, and got 3 back.  She also got some bracelets from one of her Aunt's (a brother/sister celebration held in India, sorry for the bad photo).  

I have mailed the last of my postcards for the postcard swap I participated in. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
We are currently doing an entire inside and outside homestead clean up.  It's long over due, but it's best to get it done this week.  I've been carpet cleaning (cannot wait until we have zero carpet here), dusting, wiping, weeding flower beds, and doing a lot of coughing. 

We've washed up bedding for the camper, took a load to recycling, cleaned up the garage, but there is so much more to do.  Including those light fixtures that keep collecting more dust.  

My bedroom needs a complete overhaul.  When they cut the tile in the bathroom, dust went everywhere, despite the air purifier.  It may take me two days in that room alone, just to get all the dust out.

Our barn roofing is being delivered today, and will be in progress soon.  They are calling for more rain yet this week, so his project is taking priority.

Hubby has many jobs going on this week too - replace the front screen door, tar the wood-stove piping on the roof, replace an electrical outlet we found went bad after the last storm, camper repairs, and a lot more.  And we still need the fencing finished before winter.

Today, I plan to make a batch of homemade ginger-ale, to enjoy after my work is done for the day.  


Comments

Michelle said…
You do have a busy day. I use to love writing letters to my friends. Now they just call or text.
Carolyn said…
Busy, busy, busy! Seems like the work is never finished....but if it were, what would we do? Oh yeah, sip some homemade ginger ale! :)

Thanks for the letter writing reminder...I need to get a couple of them out in the next day or two.
Anonymous said…
This is also my week to dig into some not-so-favorite cleaning tasks. Must be the cooler weather. :)
I love writing and getting cards and letters. Truly something worth doing to brighten someone's day...and even at .46¢ it's a bargain!!!
Let's face it we all like getting something in the mail... that doesn't have a bill attached to it.

A all-around clean up must be in the air...that is what we've been doing this week too! :)

Pat
Unknown said…
I'm getting into the deep cleaning mode too now that I can wear shoes again and be up. If you have central heat/AC you can put in a clean filter and run just the fan for a few days to suck out some of the dust. I find that really helps. If not, good luck, and ear a dust mask!
Sam I Am...... said…
I have been over here as my back went out...only the 2nd time in 65 years so I'm not complaining but it took me out for a good week!
I'm playing catchup but it sounds like you are REALLY getting things done around the old homestead! Hopefully that will motivate me here! I wish I had you as a next-door neighbor!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart