Skip to main content

Homemade Root Beer and Ice Cream

 A few days ago, two of the girls (my 16 year-old and 11 year-old) made a batch of homemade root beer, while I was canning jam.  


Yesterday, we cooled off with delicious homemade root beer floats. I used our goat's milk (and homemade vanilla extract) for the hand churned ice cream too.  Yum!  However, the humidity was so thick I had to take a photo from inside the house (lens was steaming up again).  We ended up bringing our ice cream maker inside, and attaching the electric motor.  At least we had the hand crank, just in case the power went out.  We are still having thunderstorms here. 

I just checked today's forecast - no rain!  Yay!  Let's hope it's correct.  Everything needs to dry up, so a good wind would be nice, and I need to get laundry out today.  I am so thankful for a break in the weather.  I just hope the humidity has let up too.

Garden goodies are still coming in, despite the weather.  I brought in more green beans, sugar snap peas, and a good handful of strawberries.



Note: I purchased a root beer kit (paying under $15.00) for our homemade rootbeer.  We found the kits on sale at our Tractor Supply Company.  You can find the same kit on Amazon also.

Comments

Winnie said…
Oohhh, this sounds just delicious and the perfect antidote to the summer blues! I hope you get your dry day ! We are headed into more pouring rain as tropical storm Chantal moves up the Atlantic beside Florida. Oh yay! More rain. Bleh!
You are so industrious!
Is there nothing you won't try?!
Homemade rootbeer... who'd of thought.
I'm check into this further!
Sounds enjoyable. -Pat
Liz said…
We love rootbeer floats in our house! Will have to try one of those kits. Hot and HUMID around here.
RB said…
My favorite all time drink is what was called a Root Beer Cooler when I was a teen, but is now called a Brown Cow or a Root Beer Blend.

I fill a glass up with vanilla ice cream, top off with root beer, then blend. It's the tastiest creamiest drink I've ever had. Delicious!!!

Now that I've been diagnosed with diabetes, I couldn't have my Root Beer Coolers anymore. But I recently found I can use the "no sugar added" vanilla ice cream (which is not very good by itself) and A&W Diet Root Beer (which is pretty darn good on its own) the same way. I don't even notice the less-sugar difference, and it's such a treat for someone to whom sugar is a problem...would even be good for someone who doesn't have a sugar problem - less calories.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart