Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Honey-Jalapeno Grilled Chicken Tenders



I made Honey-Jalapeno Grilled Chicken the other day.  I have to say, it was pretty good.   


I did marinate the organic chicken tenders more than 10 minutes, and may do this again, but marinate overnight.  I did not have sour cream on hand, as the recipe suggests, but I can see how it would taste good with it.   Yum!

Oh, and I did find organic soy sauce at the grocery store for this.

Honey-Jalapeno Chicken Tenders
(From The Farm, by Ian Knauer)

1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 pounds chicken tenders 
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Sour cream for serving.

Preheat the grill and oil the grill rack.

Whisk together the honey, soy sauce, oil, garlic, jalapenos, lemon zest, salt and pepper.  Toss the chicken in the marinade and let stand for at least 10 minutes.

Grill the chicken until well browned and cooked through, 4 to 6  minutes.  Serve the chicken sprinkled with cilantro and with a dallop of sour cream on the plate.

Note:  We adapted organic ingredients for this recipe. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The weather here has been so nice.  Hubby finally got the last of the tomatoes planted.  I have much to weed, but I am hoping it stays cool.

My 16 year-old (the "goat keeper") sold Artie yesterday.  The farm he went to, is not far from us, and the owner is very happy that Artie gets along with her llama and other goats.  He was our last buckling to sell this season.

Speaking of llama, this woman told my daughter she just got rid of all her fine breed alpaca, and got a llama.  She said they were way too much work, and this has me pondering.  I have wanted 2 alpacas, but now I'm not sure.  I have plans to learn to spin wool, and so forth, but if you raise either of these, I'd be interested in your opinions and thoughts (on either llamas or/and alpacas).


We let all the chickens out to free range yesterday - young layers, meat chickens and hens.  However, a very small baby raccoon showed up about 4pm-ish in my backyard.  It didn't get any of the chickens, but there were no other raccoons with it.  There is another older one that someone hit on the road, and it may have been it's Mom.  We are watching out for any more.  Sheesh, farming is definitely a fight with Mother Nature.  

My youngest daughter is getting "Gram" time this week.  She called me the other day, excited, saying her and Grandma found a 4-leaf clover and wanted to know how to preserve it.  How cool is that?

My 16 year-old is taking her driver's test today.  Say a prayer she does well, and obtains her license today.

5 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

wOO-HOO! hope your daughter passes her driving test...best wishes, and lots of prayers for her and mom! :)

I totally get what you mean about country life...vs. farm life... it is a constant battle it seems. I know nothing about Alpaca ...so no help there. I'd just like to convince the Hubby we need a calf ...it would sure cut down on the mowing in the fields and the expense of gas. ** I know...there'd be other DIFFERENT expenses; but you can't blame a girl for trying! :)

the chicken recipe looks like something my daughter makes. It is tasty!
enjoy, Pat

EMMA said...

Chicken sounds delicious. Must try it. Organic chicken is sooo expensive here!
Best wishes to your daughter for her driving test. Hope you are getting your shower problems sorted without getting ill.

Winnie said...

Those chicken tenders look so delicious!! It looks like a recipe to double or triple if you want a main dish pleaser for a crowd too!!

Candy C. said...

I hope your daughter did well on her driving test! Wow, that chicken sounds really good! I wonder how the marinade would be with fish or pork? Hmmm...
I have never raised alpacas or llamas but there are some folks near us who raise high-dollar alpacas. They seem like a LOT of trouble to me, especially the babies.

Liz said...

I forgot to tell you I made this recipe a few nights after you post it! Really tastey!!