Skip to main content

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce


I found this recipe in a library book - Food to Live By, by Myra Goodman.

The recipe is more so a semi-homemade recipe, as you will see when you read it.  I did find an organic soy sauce at my grocery store (naturally brewed, and made by Kikkoman).


Better than Store-Bought Teriyaki Sauce
( adapted from Food to Live By, by Myra Goodman)

1 cup organic soy sauce
1/4 cup organic pineapple juice
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (dark)
1/4 cup organic honey
1/4 cup organic non-gmo corn syrup 
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh, organic ginger
3 cloves organic (I used my homegrown) garlic, minced

Place all of the ingredients in a medium-size saucepan and stir to combine.  Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low.  Let the sauce simmer gently until the flavor intensifies, about 10 minutes.  Let the teriyaki sauce cool to room temperature.  The sauce can be refrigerated, covered for up to 3 weeks.

Update: I just made my own version of chicken teriyaki, and used this sauce.  The family loved it!  The best part, is you can control how much sauce you want on your food.  All of my ingredients were organic.  My kids love me now.  I've never made anything like this dish.  The sauce makes it delicious. Yum!  I just had to share. 

Another update:  I buy the pineapple juice in small serving cans.  I use the leftover amount to make a smoothie.  You could also use it to make a mixed drink if you like.   Or use it for a honey glaze for a baked ham.




Comments

RockWhisperer said…
Oh! I've GOT to try this!

Save your corncobs, and boil them. Make corn syrup out of the resulting "juice", by just adding sugar and cooking for awhile (there are recipes for corncob jelly online, just use less sugar than the recipe calls for and you have syrup instead).

Also, if you are only needing a small amount of pineapple juice, buy chunk pineapple or pineapple rings canned in juice. Make something with the pineapple (my favorites: upside-down cake with rings and sweet-and-sour pork with chunks). Then you will have the juice you drained from the fruit.
llene Jones, thanks for those tips. I have made corn cob syrup, but only once. We are planting sweet corn this year, but it's been very dry.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart