Skip to main content

Black Mold ~ Shower Project is Not Over


Remember all those winters I got very sick?  Pneumonia and so forth?  Guess what Hubby found last night?


Ugh.

If we had not replaced the floor tile, we would have never seen the crack in the top of the tiled, built in shower seat.  The seal was cracked all along the upper back and water had gotten down into the inside. 

How did we discover it?

Hubby was on his hands and knees, checking the grout, and found it mushy at the base of the seat.  He began investigating and we spent the next few hours removing all the tile from it, spraying it to clean off the mold, and so forth.
  
I'm glad we discovered it, so I won't be sick again (and the others), but we are not finished with this project.  We can't just remove the seat, and tile the wall either.  Inside the seat is a pipe that juts out from the wall.  So, we now have to replace the wooden frame and replace either the tile or use marble.

Thank goodness I had a few medical face masks on hand for emergencies, so Hubby wouldn't get sick while working to remove the tile.  

Always be prepared I guess. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Glad you found it. I always had a funny feeling there might be some mold issues in your house, with your repeated sinus issues. Better air quality is always a good thing!
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh boy! That looks like a job but glad you found it! Sorry you don't have time to read....I remember those days!
Winnie said…
That is some serious black mold!! No wonder you have had respiratory issues the past 6 months. It is great that you discovered the problem so that it can be fixed once and for all. Good luck with the final restoration of your shower. It is going to be so nice when it is all completed!!!
Anonymous said…
Wow, I am glad you have such a diligent hubby! Here in New Hampshire I swear the state bird should be mold!!! eek! I can't keep up with it and I am afraid living in this very old converted barn that the place is just full of the stuff. I would be afraid to even begin looking for all the places it is most likely!!! eek again!!! I'm glad you found it though so you won't be sick again!
Hugs,
Beth P
Candy C. said…
Wow! I sure hope this helps with your respiratory problems! What a MESS!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart