Skip to main content

Honey-Ginger-Lime Fruit Salad Dressing & Severe Storms


Although my naughty hens got into one strawberry beds, I was able to pick enough for a delicious summer fruit salad.  Here is the recipe for the dressing:


Honey-Ginger-Lime Dressing
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 Tablespoon cystallized ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon lime zest

Combine, and drizzle over fruit. Makes enough for 4-6 servings.

We used pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, and honey dew melon, for our fruit salad.  You could use raspberries too. 

~~~~~~~~~~
Last night severe storms passed through, with predicted winds at 80mph.  We did get heavy rain and bad wind here.  The tornado siren went off twice prior to about 1:00am, and thankfully one did not touch down by our home, nor the home one of our daughter's were staying at (sleepover). 

I had been watching the weather all day, and around 4:00pm, when rain was expected to start, the girls helped me push all the flower pots and porch furniture up against the house.  My son got all the water jugs filled - 15 of them ( here if we don't have electric, we don't have water).  And I reminded them to have a flashlight near them.  It's not the first time we've had this type of tornado weather, but this time we were ready to move into the designated room for cover.  Thankfully the storm passed fairly quickly.

I was suprised to see that we only had a few tree limbs down this morning.  We did have intermittent power outage throughout the storm. It's cool here this morning, and raining again.  I think this storm, although very frightening, simply gave us all swollen eyes and headaches from lack of sleep.  However, I still need to go out and check the barns for any damage. 


Comments

EMMA said…
Glad to hear you didn't have too much of a storm. I think I would be totally freaked out by a tornado siren in the middle of the night! Are the animals restless when a storm is brewing?
Your fruit salad looks delicious. I never think of buying limes! will look out for them at the market on saturday.
Emma,
The cats really didn't mind it, but one of our dogs gets very upset. He has a thundershirt we put on him to help him stay calm. I did gather up the house cats and hold on to them until we knew the storm had passed. We could only pray that the goats and chickens stayed safe - too dangerous to go out to check.
Winnie said…
The early summer storms have been quite fierce this season here in the South as well! I àm glad you were not badly effected!! That fresh fruit recipe looks wonderful. I am going to try it myself with some fresh fruit in the frig!
Candy C. said…
I was thinking of you guys when I saw the weather this morning, glad everything is okay there!
The dressing for the fruit sounds really good, thanks! :)
Sandra said…
Looks YUM!
I love anything with lime these days. Thanks for sharing!
Unknown said…
Glad you're all safe!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart