Skip to main content

The Lost Art of Letter Writing


I've been sick for the last week, and while resting all day, waiting for my appointment to see the doctor, the younger two girls decided they wanted to write letters.

I have been joking with them that when school starts, the only thing they will be able to share is, "I sat around on my bum and playing around on my tablet."

They came up with writing letters on their own.  So, a few of my family members may be getting some hand written letters from either of the younger two.  We actually ran out of stamps and I had to ask my son to bail me out.  He did.

Stocked with stamps again, who knows who they will write next.

Oh, and to share something interesting about this letter writing, one of them had to look on the internet on how to address the envelope.  One also didn't know where to place the stamp.  Even though they both write thank you notes, they lost their memory on all of this.  One said to me, "well they don't teach you this in school."  It looks like they will be getting more practice with their penmanship too.

I guess they will be doing some more letter writing, so their technology won't be "dumbing" them down this summer.  

As for an update on my doctor appointment.  I have a sinus infection and my right inner ear is very swollen.  Hence, why I have not been able to hear very well.  If you've ever had a sinus infection, you know how tired it makes you feel.  Thankfully it is continuing to rain, so I can rest up more, before returning to weed the garden.  Honestly, it doesn't feel like "rest."  It feels more like forced, uncontrollable sleeping.

I have not done anything in my garden besides pick peas, strawberries and squash. Oh, and I picked some more broccoli.

I think tonight will be a good time to sit on my bum, knit, and give cooking instructions to my 14 year-old.  She's been wanting to learn to cook one of her favorite dinners.

Comments

Carolyn said…
Glad to hear about your daughters writing letters. It feels SO good to get something other than bills or DirectTV ads in the mail. I'm sure your daughters will make several people's days much brighter because of their handwritten letters :)
Michelle said…
Hope you feel better. Letter writing has become a lost art. I can't remember the last time I got a letter.
EMMA said…
Hope you get better soon. Enjoy you dinner and rest.
Candy C. said…
Good for the girls! It's not surprising that they forgot how to address a letter in the face of all of today's technology!
I like that your 14 year old wants to learn how to cook! :)
Anonymous said…
It's amazing how technology changes the way we live life! I'm sure each generation has said that but it seems much more far reaching this generation... not knowing how to address an envelope, books becoming digital... is it a bad thing or is it just us being resistant to change? Hmmm, I don't know...
Hugs and feel better soon my friend,
Beth P

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart