Skip to main content

Recovery and Back to Farmstead Fun

(Sapphire chillin' one evening)

While I had the internet off, I worked on my recovery.  It's not so fun, when you cannot taste your food.  I used hot and cold compresses, took hot, steamy baths, and sipped hot herbal teas.  I am still suffering from the sinus pressure, but thankfully, all my work paid off to help my sinuses drain.  I'm still congested, but much better.  And if you have never had Thyme tea to break of mucus, it really does work (remember I am not a doctor, only sharing my experience).

I couldn't really work on too many "crafty" projects, as my pounding head made anything (even reading) almost impossible.  I did do a lot of sleeping. I managed to write another postcard, and was able to sew up a few fabric yo-yo's.

The meat chickens are slaughtered now, the bedroom closet catastrophe is repaired (which caused us to clean out our clothes and donate 2 bags of clothes to the thrift store), and more goat fencing supplies were purchased (again).

Two of the kids (my son and 16 year-old daughter) picked wild black raspberries.  To be truthful, I wanted to stuff the berries in the freezer, but will try to can a batch of jam today.

We've been getting rain almost every day, and I am thankful for it.  I am thankful I don't have to go out to weed, and I am thankful for the rain in my barrels.  I am thankful the rain gives me time to recuperate a bit more. I'm thankful I got the chance to see the yellow finch family flutter around in the driveway - Mom, Dad and baby.  I am also very thankful for the wooden drying rack my mother and cousin bought for me on their recent getaway.  I'll try to get a picture of it, so you can see how nice it is.

What's next?  The bathroom tile. It's been 3 weeks or more since we tore it out.

Comments

Sandra said…
I hope you are feeling better soon!!
Enjoyed reading your thankful thoughts and hope the sinus stuff will continue to improve rapidly :)
You're sick and all this activity was taking place?!
I envy that...when I used to get sick and the kids were still home...I don't remember all that work getting done, not until they were older I guess.
Hope you continue to get well.
Pat
Winnie said…
Sorry you have been down with a bad summer cold! I hope you will be feeling better soon! Wild blackberry jam is one of the best summer gifts ever!
Anonymous said…
I am sending you all kinds of positive thoughts to get rid of that nasty sinus infection... they are awful to have, I know!
Feel all better soon my friend,
Hugs,
Beth P
Unknown said…
Hope you get better soon. I don't envy you your chronic allergies there...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart