Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, June 21, 2013

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce


I found this recipe in a library book - Food to Live By, by Myra Goodman.

The recipe is more so a semi-homemade recipe, as you will see when you read it.  I did find an organic soy sauce at my grocery store (naturally brewed, and made by Kikkoman).


Better than Store-Bought Teriyaki Sauce
( adapted from Food to Live By, by Myra Goodman)

1 cup organic soy sauce
1/4 cup organic pineapple juice
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (dark)
1/4 cup organic honey
1/4 cup organic non-gmo corn syrup 
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh, organic ginger
3 cloves organic (I used my homegrown) garlic, minced

Place all of the ingredients in a medium-size saucepan and stir to combine.  Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low.  Let the sauce simmer gently until the flavor intensifies, about 10 minutes.  Let the teriyaki sauce cool to room temperature.  The sauce can be refrigerated, covered for up to 3 weeks.

Update: I just made my own version of chicken teriyaki, and used this sauce.  The family loved it!  The best part, is you can control how much sauce you want on your food.  All of my ingredients were organic.  My kids love me now.  I've never made anything like this dish.  The sauce makes it delicious. Yum!  I just had to share. 

Another update:  I buy the pineapple juice in small serving cans.  I use the leftover amount to make a smoothie.  You could also use it to make a mixed drink if you like.   Or use it for a honey glaze for a baked ham.




3 comments:

Willow said...

Scrumptious. !

RockWhisperer said...

Oh! I've GOT to try this!

Save your corncobs, and boil them. Make corn syrup out of the resulting "juice", by just adding sugar and cooking for awhile (there are recipes for corncob jelly online, just use less sugar than the recipe calls for and you have syrup instead).

Also, if you are only needing a small amount of pineapple juice, buy chunk pineapple or pineapple rings canned in juice. Make something with the pineapple (my favorites: upside-down cake with rings and sweet-and-sour pork with chunks). Then you will have the juice you drained from the fruit.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

llene Jones, thanks for those tips. I have made corn cob syrup, but only once. We are planting sweet corn this year, but it's been very dry.