Skip to main content

What's Cooking?

 It's been fun to concentrate our meals based on the oldest of whatever we have in the freezer.  It also makes me pay attention to what we use more of, or less of, and what other ideas think of.

One idea, was to thaw a pound of ground chicken and try making breakfast "sausage" patties for breakfast sandwiches with egg, and cheese.  

The results?

Bagels were too big for the Sandwich.



Delicous!  We discovered (if I didn't already mention it), that the yogurt bagel recipe (making 4 bagels), makes bagels too big for breakfast sandwiches.  Next time I will make bagel "thins" for this purpose.  Homemade English muffin would be good for these too.

Back to the chicken pattie, that is mixed up with sausage flavorings....so good!  It's a nice change in breakfast meat, and much healthier than sausage and bacon.  It's added to our rotation now.  It does not taste as good as a sage sausage would, but it's pretty good.  It passed my picky husband's taste test too.

Here is what mixed in 1 pound of ground chicken:  Recipe is online free from Lauren from Scratch.  One pound of ground chicken makes 6 breakfast patties.


New vegetable side dish tried - Buttter Bean and wild Rice Salad with Steamed Greens and Roasted Cauliflower.  What's in it?  Green beans, butter beans, wild rice, spinach, cauliflower and red onion (and seasonings, with a homemade dressing in the end).


Recipe is in this book, that I borrowed for the library - The Better Bean Cookbook, by Jenny Chandler.  However, I did not steam the green beans, and I thawed blanched spinach.  I pre-cooked the frozen garden green beans for this, and added it all together in the end.  We loved it, but the curry you put on the cauliflower lingers in the air the rest of the night.  It was a strange set of ingredients to put together, but utilized the green beans and spinach we had in the freezer.  Also, it stated that it's good a salad, but we ate it warmed up as a side dish.

Nothing new here, but we enjoyed crock pot pork chops, simply seasoned, and with an entire freezer container (thawed) of homemade cream of mushroom soup on top.  So tender, so simple, and so good.  One freezer container is equal to a can of condensed soup you buy at the store (only better ingredients). 


What's Cooking?  © November 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Katie C. said…
Thank you for the cream of mushroom soup link. How much do you think a can’s worth would measure? I’m surprised that it freezes well with the flour in it.
Sandi said…
It all looks delicious!
Jackie said…
Your breakfast sandwiches look very good, if rather large. I bet you enjoyed them.

God bless.
Katie C, I freeze one "can" in a pint freezer container, but it's a bit less than a pint maybe. I'd have to pull one from the freezer and measure next time, or measure when I make more. Yes, it freezes and thaws nicely.
Jackie, the bagels were way to big for a sandwich. I took the photo to show my husband, and sent his sandwich to work with an English muffin instead. The chicken patties were delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart