Skip to main content

New Recipes Tried ~ Yogurt Based Bagels ~ Einkorn Pumpkin Bread

 





I brushed the tops with milk and sprinkled homemade everything bagel seasoning on the tops.  The original recipe stated to boil them, just like you would yeast bagels, and I did not.




I went online and searched for the recipe and found several, but for this one, I had to convert grams to cups to make them.  I was shocked at the results.  First, I doubted the dough.  After kneading it, it turned into a nice dough, although started out crumbs.  Baked at 400°F for 25 they turned out nice, but they do need toasted.  The inside is slightly doughy if they are not toasted, but a nice bagel for a breakfast or whatever, if we need a few in a pinch.  I like the fact, it only makes 4 for the two of us as well.  Yes, it requires white all-purpose flour, but I do use organic/non-gmo.  I used organic greek yogurt, and non-gmo baking powder (original recipe uses self-rising flour).

Results?  Pretty good.  They don't stick to the parchment paper either.  However, the next time, I will make 8 bagel thins vs. 4 thick ones.  The 4 larger ones are too thick for a breakfast sandwich.

Next up?  Einkorn Pumpkin Bread.  It is not your typical moist, ooey, gooey pumpkin bread, but it is good.  I was also shocked that it baked up so tall, and looks exactly like the photo in the recipe.  It's fantastic with a slather of butter, but had I gotten around to it, it would be delicous with pumpkin butter, or pumpkin-apple butter too.  The flour in this bread is all-purpose einkorn wheat flour.  There is some sugar in this bread, but the bread itself is not sweet, hence a slather of something on top.

I made us a small batch of cinnamon-honey butter for this bread.  Yum!

Recipe is online:  Einkorn Pumpkin Bread







Comments

Betsy said…
Both look really good. Pumpkin and banana are my two favorite breads and your's is perfect.
Blessings,
Betsy
Interesting to read the pumpkin bread recipe, mine has one more egg, more sugar, more oil and some water and it turns out great, my Grands love it. I have never tried bagels you are an adventerous baker!
Here is the link to the recipe https://farsideoffifty.blogspot.com/2011/11/pies.html
Thank you Betsy. I love a good banana bread too.
Far Side of Fifty, thank you so much for the recipe. I will be trying it soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart