Skip to main content

Progress? Bad Delivery Service and Other Tales from the Homestead

 


I thought this was funny, because, with my husband's full-time job, and the very (way too early) winter darkness that sets in, we have felt like nothing is progressing.  Or should I say progressing fast enough for the both of us?

My new washer and dryer has been delivered.  We were not at all happy with the delivery service they use.  First, the salesman at the store told us a completely different story.  The delivery service called 30 minutes before arrival (they never showed up until after 6pm), and told me we had to "disconnect everything" before they arrived.  Not what we were told.

  Second, these were to go on our pedastal drawers.  One guy refused, saying it was against "their policy" and again the salesman said they would place them on them for us.  Third, their truck had no ramp, so we literally watched one guy lift the dryer out off the end of the truck and put it in the driveway hastily.

Oh, and they had their grade school kid with them, who was in the way, wandered around the house (had to keep an eye on him myself), and one guy literally asked me to hold the trolly cart while my husband and one guy unloaded the washer (the other guy was still in the back of the truck).

Oh, and get this.  One guy was bringing the dryer in, and it would not fit thru the doorway.  He insisted the door needed off the hinges (I will need to repaint thanks to him).  Anyway, my husband watched them load the washer on the cart, and yelled out the door to put the washer on the other way (with door up and not to the side), which turned it, so the thinner side of it would fit thru the door.  One way it's thicker, the other thinner.  The guy who took the door off the hinge said to us, "my bad" and both of us rolled our eyes.  We both wondered if it was their first time unloading applicances?  Good grief!

The next morning we had to hook everything up ourselves, and had to even the legs on the dryer.  By the way, our old ones were 16 years old (lucky for that considering it lasted with all the kids using them too), and they were to take them with them, according to our salesman.  They were literally trying to talk us into putting them by the side of the road, instead of hauling the old ones away.  In the end, they took them.

It was a good time to clean the dryer vent, as we had to install a brand new one to the dryer.  Another cleaning job done.  We actually bought our own kit, to do this job ourselves.  It comes with a 10 foot brush and a smaller one for the actual dryer lint trap too.

 Finally, we had one the kids and her boyfriend come to the house, and help remove the AC units, and put them in storage.  Yay for a bit of progress.

I found a home for our old Christmas tree and lights, and donated 3 full boxes of "stuff" to a thrift store.

At the last minute before heading out with the boxes of donations, I found all of these outside Christmas light clips to get rid of too.  I have now reduced the number of totes by two.


  Sometimes when you are sorting or cleaning/organizing and purging, your house looks more of a mess before it looks tidy and chaos free.

Comments

Leigh said…
For years, Dan worked for a local moving company. They had a huge problem with what the salesman offered and what they were actually able to do. The salesman worked on commission and would often promise things that he knew were not within company policy, county codes, nor worker job description. You can guess who got the brunt of the customer's anger. I'm not saying that's what happened with your case, but it's probably a bigger problem than people are aware of. It sounds like your delivery guys weren't very competent, so maybe it's just as well you had to do some things yourselves!
Betsy said…
That delivery was a nightmare. I would definitely go back to the store and let them know how it went. They are usually hiring third party contractors and they need to know how the service was. Otherwise they could lose future business.
You're sure getting lots of things done. I downsized lots of items during our moves but I know we could still get rid of more.
Blessings,
Betsy
Leigh, it was a hot mess of a delivery if you call it that. I am calling the store to talk to the salesman. I can't believe they can bring a child along as well.
Betsy, it was a nightmare for sure. My husband said we could have brought them home in the truck much better than what they were doing. I am cleaning as if we are moving, because we just keep too much we don't use anymore, and of course it takes up space.
Faith said…
USA has become a service me country, and nobody wants to work for their living. We had a stove delivered, they put a big dent in the side getting it off the truck, and asked if we still wanted it...hmmm I'm wondering if they knew someone who needed a new but very discounted stove. They took $50 off the price, we kept the stove. Work ethic & company values are at an all time low. Very sad. You know where this gets fixed? At the family level when the children are small and learning, respect, value, doing the right thing begins right at home at the dinner table....oh wait...not happening either. We are reaping what has been sowed.
Get it all in writing at the time of purchase. Customer service is no more:(
Faith, you are right about that. No one wants to work.
Far Side of Fifty, I thought he was adding it all to the order, but not all was printed out on it. Good idea though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart