Skip to main content

Path in Life and Changes Along the Way . . .

My post today is in reference to Mama Pea's post the other day about "A Different Choice."  Thanks for the inspiration to write this, but you may want a hot beverage to sip. It's sort of long, ha ha!

My first career, and very happy with it at the time, was a Travel Agent.  I went straight to Travel School (right out of high school), which was about an hour drive from home (I was still living with my Mom).  I loved it.

I worked my school hours on the River (up north), where I worked as a sales ticket person, where river boat rides went up and down the river.  I had a fancy uniform too.

I also did internship with other Travel Agencies.  I LOVED it!  I worked my way through a few Travel Agencies, and landed in a bigger agency.  I took additional classes and earned my DS on many destinations (specialist on certain travel locations).  These were serious designations to earn (testing was difficult as well).

I took outside classes and earned my CTC first.  That stands for "Certified Travel Consultant" and you could only use that designation as long as you were working for an agency with a true iata agency number (and worked full time).  Today, this course is over $500.00!  My agency at the time paid us, as long as we passed the courses.  The designation was up and beyond the travel school certificate I earned from the first school.

I loved it so much, I became a "teacher" for the next few DS (Destination Specialist) courses.  I think I even still have my books from it somewhere.  I loved teaching the course, and toted my briefcase to work every day.  I began to wear suits to work, handed down by my Mother as well (she worked at a bank at the time).  I felt that great about my career.

Well, then they hired a woman as an "agent" who literally turned psycho on my manager, and put her out of a job.  My boss was THE BEST EVER BOSS!  The woman they hired had mental issues and control issues, and didn't want anyone to do the job as agent better than her (I did, and she didn't like it). 

I had a large clientele.  I was the type of person who studied the available travel packages, and only sold the customer what they could afford, but a good quality company as well.  We worked on commission, and the "psycho" lady they hired sold only high commission packages to clients (expensive for costumers).  It meant, I had to work more customers in a day to pay my bills, but I had repeat customers who trusted me.

I got tired of "psycho" woman (who stole my bosses job) to the point I was mentally sick and threw up on the job, and I walked out on the job (while a single mother raising 3 kids).  I was later hired at the plastic injection molding company, where I worked in the office (best income I ever had).  My title was Purchasing Coordinator.  It's were I met my current husband.  Best thing I ever did.

Later, down the road, after a few more kids, I went to college for Journalism.  I ended up leaving that college and caring for the family.  Journalism is not even offered there anymore.  I do not regret staying home to care for the kids and family at all.  I do miss my Travel Agent days, but as of today, those are not even needed as much as they were back in the day.

During my course of a stay-at-home Mom, I built beautiful flower beds around our first new home using natural stones that had been dug up.  I dedicated one section by the back door for my first ever herb garden.  I have since dug up that garden and moved it twice to where we are now, and wa-la now a garden grower, chicken raiser (even raised dairy goats and meat-birds).  I would not change a thing, but have to admit, I miss my Travel Agent days.  Those would be totally different, and more difficult today with the internet and people booking their own travel.

Thanks for the inspiration to write this post.  I hope I didn't make the post too long.

It's still snowing and very cold here this morning.  I have hot water, so I'm a happy gal.  I'll be happier once the wood stove is in full swing.  Coffee is brewing, and breakfast just needs heated up.


Comments

Mama Pea said…
So interesting the career path you followed, Kristina. Encountering difficult people (your "psycho") when out in the working world can literally change your own path . . . sadly. I worked with one of those, too, although not quite as bad as yours sounds. Most of the time I just banged my head on my desk to keep from punching him in his face! ;o)
Mama Pea, I remember my Dad listening to me every day after work. He gave me a peppermint something or other to take to settle my stomach at work. The day I walked out, my Dad put his hands in the air and said "Halleluiah!"
Rain said…
Nice to have learned a little bit more about you Kristina! ☺
I'm not the person I was in my working days anymore that's for sure. But I don't miss working in finance, very cut throat and back stabbing business. I actually hated it!
Rain, glad you enjoyed the post. I was inspired by Mama Pea's post. Finance sounds rather tough as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart