Skip to main content

More Snow but some Sunshine (despite freezing temps)

My husband has not had the energy to return to work, so today I will be brewing up some medicinal teas, and making sure we get outside for fresh air (even if it's to get the mail and tend the hens).  We are wanting this crud to be gone, gone, gone.  My husband works outside, climbs towers, and has a one hour drive to work.  We are greatly saddened he cannot go get the antibody therapy, but will continue to do what we can from home to get over this.

I, however, have not gotten over the cough.  I just got online and ordered a cool-mist humidifier.  I dug our ancient one out of the garage, and nope (dinosaur of a humidifier, we haven't used it in that many years).  I am sure, with the increase in cases, we would not find a humidifier in stores right now.  It is due to arrive tomorrow (not quick enough).  It was my last resort.  We don't have to energy for the 55 minute round trip, let alone the walking in and out and searching.  Thank you Amazon.

Question:  What's the best way to freeze buttermilk?  I'm hankering homemade cornbread to go with our big pot of chili, and have zero on hand (and there is no way I'm going out for it).  So, to prepare for the future, any suggestions on freezing it would be appreciated.

Trash finally picked up today.  We missed it last week due to all of us sick.  They warned us that they may be delayed due to their hydraulics not working in 0 degree weather.

Daughter K has a cough she can't get rid of now too.  Sigh.

Other than those updates, we are heading out to the barn to fetch firewood, and maintaining minimal housework.

Stay safe my friends!


Comments

Faith said…
It does stink to high heaven. But when I am better I'll have natural antibodies designed by GOD. I was really sick around the holidays, the worst I ever felt in my life. The lack of any form of energy with this crud is amazing. I couldn't even get out of my own way. So I know exactly how you all feel. I hope it passes quickly for you all. Every day is different in how I feel now. Hydrate.
Faith, thanks. We get to a point we think we are getting over it, and slam! Just getting a shower takes energy anymore.
Carol said…
I will pray that you and your husband are feeling much better soon. These illnesses are affecting everyone these days it seems. Teas, stay warm and rest along with zinc and vitamins A and D should help a lot.
Debi said…
Sure hope that you and your husband are feeling much better very soon. I don't know anything about freezing buttermilk but have you ever tried making your own for baking? A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of milk. I don't buy buttermilk because I don't use it often enough without the unused spoiling. My mom taught me this trick many years ago and it works great. Have a good week.
Debi, yes I have made it homemade, but my cornbread is never as moist. I'll try using the ACV next time. I typically use lemon juice or white vinegar. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart