Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, May 17, 2019

Rhubarb Crunch

I adapted this family recipe with homegrown, organic ingredients.  The original recipe is from my own Mom, and called for "shortening" so feel free to use organic shortening if you can't find real lard or process your own lard.

The crunch is also a thin dessert.  It is not thick and will go quickly, as it is so good.  


Rhubarb Crunch
1 cup flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
2 Tbsp. lard (or shortening)
1/2 tsp. salt

Cut lard into dry ingredients.  Add 1 beaten farm fresh egg.  Pat into the bottom of a 13 x 9 in. baking pan.  Scatter 2-3 cups of diced rhubarb over the crust.

Mix:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
Cut butter into mixture and sprinkle over the rhubarb.  Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes.

8 comments:

Faith said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe. We like Rhubarb at our house, and I'll be on the lookout for it, I like strawberry rhubarb pie...mmmm......

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Faith. I have plans to make a strawberry rhubarb pie this year. Just need the time to do it.

mamasmercantile said...

Looks delicious. We are great fans of rhubarb and have some that needs using.

Pam said...

That looks like a Sunday treat, it will make a change from crumble or sponge pudding.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I also have a recipe for the BBQ sauce (on the blog front page "featured post"

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Pam it is good.

Sam I Am...... said...

LOve rhubarb and I miss mine so much. i tried growing a special variety for AR but it died too...I can't get anything to grow down here. Once in awhile I can find frozen and then I stock up on it. Lucky you!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I plan on freezing some too. I may have to buy some though to do that. I don't want to cut off too much of my own just yet.